Skip to main content

Lavender Memories Part 2

Back in April, I posted a blog called Lavender Memories, where I wrote about looking forward to the reopening of Lavender Acres at 2000 N McDermott Rd. A couple of weeks ago, I was thrilled to receive a postcard from them, announcing they were open for the months of June and July.
I was out there today, enjoying the fragrance of all the different types of lavender. The owner, Donna, is so sweet—she makes everyone feel welcome the moment you step on the farm. Also, she is very knowledgeable about lavenders. She leads a tour of their 80 varieties of plants and I learned so much. For instance:
  • Lavender is part of the mint family.
  • There are 300 different types of lavender
  • Lavenders have square stems
They also have a quaint gift shop that sells lavender lemon shortbread, cookbooks, and lotions. If you didn’t think you could eat lavender and enjoy it, you will definitely change your mind when you sample lavender lemonade and iced tea.
Also, conversations out there start up easily—I met two women from Texas, who are related to an organic okra farmer. I also found out that Donna has had visitors from Australia and South Africa.    
One of the great things about the farm is the atmosphere—I don’t know if it’s because of the lavender, but you feel relaxed the moment you enter.
I’m going to finish my day enjoying the fragrance of the different variety of sample lavenders from the tour.  Now, there’s a couple of weekends left in July, so I’m sure this won’t be my last visit! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Only one day for love?!

Last week at my Toastmasters club meeting, we ran out of time for Table Topics. This segment of the meeting is when a club member is assigned to give the other members questions so they can give an impromptu 1-2 speech on that topic. Typically, the questions are related to the theme of the meeting.  Naturally, the theme of the meeting was Valentine’s Day. It was offered that next week these Table Topics could be used. Then it was shared that may not be a good idea, since the questions related to romance and “lovey dovey” stuff. I said “It shouldn't matter if we do this next week. Do we only have one day that we can talk about love?!” I have been thinking about this the day after Valentine’s. How much emphasis is focused on this day that it has to be super romantic? What about the people without partners? Isn't it cruel to exclude them from a basic feeling such as love? Also, as I grow older, I’m not a huge fan of all of the paraphernalia that is sold during this day. Sure,...