Skip to main content

Fourth of July to remember

Fountains are my favorite type of fireworks, as well as my family’s. They come in tall tubes with dazzling names like Sparkling Wonder or Spinning Panda. Once the fuse is lit, the tower explodes with a mini light show of random colors, sparks and whistles.
Since I am so budget conscious (feel free to substitute the word cheap) my biggest beef is spending the money on items that will eventually go up in smoke.   My husband constantly reminds me it’s only once a year and have a little fun.  So, we compromise and buy them on sale.
Last year, we thought we hit a pretty good deal. Normally for ten fountains, the cost is around $40-$50. However, we found a bag of small fountains at the store for $5! They were cone-shaped and named TNT, not that exotic a name. We figured since they were bargains, they would appear a little different, but would still do the trick.
On the evening of the 4th, my husband lined up the ten fountains on the street in front of our house. Our son and I were sitting on lawn chairs, fire extinguisher next to me as a precautionary. He lit the first fuse, which seemed to be longer than I remember past fountains to have. We all watched intently as the fuse burned, talking about what colors the fountain would emit. However, once the flame reached the top of the fountain, it fizzled out. We all figured it was a dud and he proceeded to light the next fountain. This too proved to give the same results, no display.
By the third one’s misfire, my husband was very frustrated and disappointed, especially for our son. It was apparent we weren’t going to have a bright fountain display. As I gathered the remaining seven in the plastic to return to the store, I took a look at one more closely. I let out a chuckle-- it became clear why these “fountains” wouldn’t light. I called over to my husband and son.  I aimed the cone’s bottom in the air and pulled the long fuse. Out shot a stream of colored paper confetti and streamers, falling on their heads and shoulders.
“Poppers!” our son shouted joyfully and ran over to retrieve the bag. That Fourth was spent with us shooting the Poppers in the air and watching our neighbors’ firework displays, complete with firecrackers and beautiful fountains.
Though the evening didn’t turn out as planned, we all had a good time. We didn’t let a mistake ruin our evening—we found the humor in it, laughed it off and moved on.     
Today, we’re on our way to buy the fountains from a fireworks stand that advertises the best prices, of course.  We’ll add a few Poppers to our purchase or as I like to call them Dud Fountains with Very Long Fuses!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Goodbye tomatoes!

Grocery shopping is mundane and routine, wouldn't you agree? I find I roam through the aisles in the same route as I do each week. I walk by, barely acknowledging the other shoppers. Yet we are all in the same mission: methodically filling our carts and checking off our grocery lists, either manually or electronically. However, a few weeks ago, something different happened at the produce section.  There I was, surveying the bananas,trying to find a bunch that didn't have many bruises. Suddenly, a little four year old girl with brunette hair appeared by my side. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the bananas, humming a whimsical tune. Soon, she scampered off.  I turned around and saw her mother wasn't far from her. Mom was standing next the the tomato display. My eyes focused on the little girl, who was now babbling to the tomato stack. Then, her mother called her name, telling her it was time to go. With a tiny wave, she sang, "Goodbye tomatoes!" I smiled, tickled b...