Skip to main content

Where are all the DJ’s?

Recently, at the dentist office, of all places, I heard of the newest station in Boise, KZMG FM 102.7. I could hear the crooning of Kelly Clarkson over the harsh drilling of my tooth. I must admit, listening to this newest station was the most pleasant part of my appointment.
Afterwards, I entered my car and dialed the call numbers into the radio. As I listened, I realized that I hadn't heard any disc jockey’s friendly observations on this radio station, just the continuous flow of today’s hits.  
As if to answer my question, a disembodied voice informed the listeners to go online to request songs. I thought this was a clever idea—after all, we do tend to go to the Internet for everything.  With listeners submitting their play lists on line was another reason for no DJs.
I made a mental check list of the other radio stations sans DJ’s – Bob FM 96. and 105.1 Variety Rock.  I began to wonder—are we witnessing a new trend now?
I am of a generation where DJ’s were well known and celebrities of their own right outside of their radio stations, for instance Wolfman Jack and Rick Dees. When we moved to Idaho, I searched the radio stations to find DJ’s that I enjoyed listening to on my morning commute to work and locked them in.
Now, when my son is in the car with the radio on and a DJ is speaking, he immediately changes the channel. I asked him what’s going on and he announces that he doesn't really like listening their chatter, just get to the music!

As he switches the channel to Bob FM, before the next song starts, I realize that this station may not have a DJ, but it does have a nameless personality cracking a joke before announcing the call letters. Also, on Variety Rock, there is a nameless couple that exchange 10 seconds of friendly joshing.   Obviously, we are not ready to give up the DJ’s yet, just shrinking their banter to bite size. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...