Skip to main content

Regards to Tim Wilson

On February 27th, I was listening to The Bob and Tom Show on my computer as I was getting ready for work.  Many a morning, their show has kept me in stitches and made me look forward to Mondays.   Not only are the hosts hilarious, this program also showcases many funny comedians. I had tuned into the middle of the show, and had missed the beginning. I heard them interviewing comedian Nick Griffin, who was speaking about Tim Wilson, another comedian who was a frequent guest of their show.
I remembered the first time I had heard Tim Wilson on their show. It was a few years ago, and I was changing channels on the radio on my way to work in the morning. I remembered my husband recommending the Bob and Tom Show, so I punched the scan radio button to their channel.  I had tuned into the middle of an interview. I heard a distinctive southern drawl coming through the speakers. This man, who I later learned was Tim Wilson, was speaking about a book he had written about Ted Bundy.   I was intrigued—he was introduced as a comedian, (a guitar playing comedian to boot) yet had written a well researched book about this notorious serial killer? Tim Wilson’s name stuck in my mind and found his comic routines very funny, like “Uncle BS”.    Granted, his humor leaned towards the non-kid friendly side, but since I was alone in my commute, my young son at the time wasn't present to hear.
Present day, as I listened to their broadcast, I couldn't help but notice that they were all referring to Tim Wilson in the past tense.  I thought this was odd, so I started to listen more closely.  Tom announced with great sadness that Tim Wilson had passed away the night before. I immediately felt empathy for the family that he had left behind.
This news was very sad to me, not only because this talented man wasn't around anymore to make us laugh, but how untimely his death was.  Years ago, when I would hear that someone died at the age of 52, I chalked it up to they were old and their time had come. Now, with each birthday drawing me closer to that age neighborhood, 52 is very young to me! This is a reminder that we’re on this Earth for a finite amount of time and to make the most of it in positive ways.

Tim Wilson struck me as a man who didn't bow to being conventional—he didn't let the fact that he was an established comedian hold him back from pursuing other non-comedic interests. I will let his memory serve as another reminder to me that it’s okay to stretch out of the expected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Goodbye tomatoes!

Grocery shopping is mundane and routine, wouldn't you agree? I find I roam through the aisles in the same route as I do each week. I walk by, barely acknowledging the other shoppers. Yet we are all in the same mission: methodically filling our carts and checking off our grocery lists, either manually or electronically. However, a few weeks ago, something different happened at the produce section.  There I was, surveying the bananas,trying to find a bunch that didn't have many bruises. Suddenly, a little four year old girl with brunette hair appeared by my side. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the bananas, humming a whimsical tune. Soon, she scampered off.  I turned around and saw her mother wasn't far from her. Mom was standing next the the tomato display. My eyes focused on the little girl, who was now babbling to the tomato stack. Then, her mother called her name, telling her it was time to go. With a tiny wave, she sang, "Goodbye tomatoes!" I smiled, tickled b...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...