Skip to main content

What was that lyric!

A couple of weeks ago, I was working on an article for examiner.com about the Grammys 2014.  I wanted to mention Bruno Mars’ song “Treasure” as an example of a modern song with an older flavor.  I liked the 70’s feel to it.  The video was like it was filmed during the heyday of Earth, Wind and Fire, right down to the camera angles shooting into the dazzling lights on stage. Also, in my opinion, the lyrics were sweet,  as he crooned to his lady how she should realize what a “treasure” she was, not just to him but to the world.
 However, when I looked up the lyrics on line, I jolted; I felt like someone had thrown cold water on me. The first line of the song had a curse word with the initials MF in it. I thought this website must have it wrong, but the more I searched, it became evident that this was indeed the true lyrics.
I decided not to use this song in the article and cited other songs instead.
 It’s not the first time I've heard a curse word as part of lyrics. I remember in school when a classmate brought in The Who’s album for a project, he couldn't play the song “Who are You?”   for this very reason. My shock wasn't that there was a swear word in this song "Treasure". Rather, my puzzlement was why this particular curse word was used in this love song. It didn't seem to fit—like ordering a piece of chocolate cake and being presented with the dessert with a buttery lobster tail on it.   
I decided to research and see if this word has morphed into something else. Back in my day, this word was a true insult and would make the recipient’s blood boil. Maybe, something’s changed; I believe language is a living thing. As Stephen Covey said, “Seek first to understand, then to be understood.” 
When I typed in the search engine “Bruno Mars Treasure lyrics”, now the information that dropped down was clean version. Aha, so there is another version of the song! That’s the one I heard on the radio and video. Dang, if I had known, I would have used that link in my article! 
These first words “Give me all, give me all, give me all, your attention baby” in my opinion fit much better with the feel of the song rather than “Baby squirrel,you’s a sexy MF” --though “baby squirrel” is sort of endearing.
In the end, I didn't find anything noting what was behind the explicit lyrics. Also, I did confirm that this curse word hasn't changed in its meaning. I’m not as out of touch as I once thought!

My opinion of Bruno Mars remains unchanged: I still enjoy his work and think he’s very talented. What he decides to put in his songs is his prerogative.  I did notice that in his terrific and energetic Super Bowl’s performance that he sang only the second stanza of “Treasure.” Good call! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...