Skip to main content

Mark of Mimosa

Mimosa the cat scanned the living room with his chartreuse eyes. With a contented yawn, he stretched, arching his back and spreading out his white furred front paws. His gaze settled on the Lady sitting on the couch reading a library book.
                “It’s time,” he mumbled, which sounded like a quiet meow to the Lady.
                Mimosa effortlessly hopped onto the couch next to the Lady. As soon has his paws hit the couch, he bumped his head gently against the side of the hard backed book that the Lady was holding.
                The Lady laughed as Mimosa continued to rub against the book cover. He was bumping with such force that it caused her to lose her place in the story.  “Mim, what are you doing?” she asked, not really expecting an answer. She scratched behind his ear and scooped him up, placing him gently on the floor.
                Undeterred, Mimosa hopped back onto the chocolate colored couch and resumed his ardent behavior. He even padded onto her lap and rubbed the side of his face against the corner of the book, causing the pages to fan out.  Again, the Lady set aside the book and picked up the orange and white cat. Slinging him on one arm, she placed him on the floor, gently patting his bottom. “Now scoot!” she coaxed with a smile.
                 Mimosa looked over his shoulder, squinting at the Lady, who had resumed reading the book.  Keeping his dignity, he turned around, swished his tail regally and slowly sauntered back into the bedroom. He padded past Pepper the black dog that was lying at the bedroom door. Mimosa gingerly hopped onto the bed where Stanley the grey cat was lounging.
                “Mimosa, why do you insist on rubbing your face all over that book?” Pepper asked, rising to her paws. In order to refresh herself, she shook her head vigorously, her floppy ears resembling bat wings.
                “It is in the house, so I had to mark it so it would smell right,” Mimosa answered simply.  “Just like I’m doing right now.” He proceeded to rub his side of his face on the quilt.
                “Well, leave my side of the bed alone, and we’ll get along just fine.” Stanley yawned, stretching his front legs and wiggling his paws.
                 “Oh, yeah?” Mimosa challenged, hopping onto Stanley’s side of the bed.  “You’re not the boss of me!”
“Get off!” Stanley yelled, arching his back as his grey fur began to prickle.
“Stop it, you two!” Pepper cried, as the two cats squared off, staring at each other with scowls. “Help, Lady, help!!” she screamed, rushing out the door to the living room.
What the Lady heard was two cats hissing and a dog barking a warning. She dropped the book on the couch and ran into the bedroom to break up the impending fight.
 Pepper, with her duty done, decided to see what Mimosa meant by the book smelling right. She trotted to the couch and took a whiff of the book lying innocently on the cushion.  Suddenly, her nostrils were visited by all of the previous readers of the book.  She detected rose petal perfume, ketchup, and oatmeal cookie.
“I don’t know why Mimosa insisted on covering up these scents, they are delicious!” Pepper thought, gently licking the pages.
The Lady walked out of the bedroom, Mimosa draped in her arms. Pepper galloped to the Lady’s side, giving Mimosa a scolding look for causing trouble with Stanley.
“Now I have to put you in time out!” she announced, as the cat poured out of her arms into the other bedroom in front of the house. She firmly closed the door behind her and walked back to the living room.
Pepper whined through the door, “Mimosa, you shouldn't have done that!”
“Not a problem,” Mimosa answered. “There is plenty in here for me to mark! Now go away!” he ordered, sticking his paw under the door.
Pepper shook her head and as she trotted back to the living room, she heard the Lady shout, “Stanley! Quit bumping your head on my book! I’ll lose my place!”



  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...