Skip to main content

Where have I been?

In the past few weeks, I have retreated into myself, letting the mist of quiet sadness drape over me.  I was only finding solace in finding more things to worry me. I was neglectful to my writing, but now, I’m starting to shake off the haze of sorrow. I’m able to apply the rule write what you know. Here I sit, putting down on the electronic page what I have been experiencing.
My husband’s health issues have caused this downward shift in my disposition. It started out innocently enough—a few months back, he was having soreness in his right elbow. Then over the course of weeks, the dull ache graduated to searing agony that had spread throughout his whole right arm, shoulder and back of his head.  Some mornings, he woke up with his right arm twitching uncontrollably. Also, he would be prone to dizzy spells.
Seeing someone you love in pain and not being able to do anything about it is torture, pure and simple. His groans would twist my stomach into knots.  My tears were always in quick supply, but I tried to hide them from him.  He was dealing with enough without having to worry about me.
The other thing that had me suspended in tender hooks was not knowing what was causing his extreme discomfort. Logically, I knew I was not an expert on the matter, but my imagination filled my mind with guesses—Parkinson’s disease? A stroke? A brain tumor? This horrendous dialogue was endless.
A trip to the ER finally confirmed what has been ailing him—the MRI showed herniated discs in his neck. Unfortunately, they are degenerating. They were not caused by an injury, but genetics.
On the way home, he stated he was relieved that we finally knew what was going on—it’s not a devious mystery anymore and now we can treat it. He was in an extreme positive frame of mind. In response, I started to cry. He put his left pain free arm around me and gingerly held me close. I found this ironic—here he was, a man just coming back from the emergency room and now he was the strong one.
Then he said something that finally got me out of my misery: “As long as we work together, we can beat anything.” I was so wrapped up in worry and fear in his condition that I was carrying too much of the burdens on myself. I had forgotten we were a team.
My positive energy is slowly coming back, which is in direct proportion to his pain level subsiding. Also, I’m looking through a clearer prism rather than the murky one of agitation. I can see our family putting these words into practice—our son is helping out more around the house and showing concern, my step-son is visiting us more and doing the yard work. Even the dogs are showing they are furry care givers—instinctively they know to be around him and stabilize him when he’s having a dizzy spell.   
As a friend of mine observed, we are all in a biorhythm-- the trick is to remember when we are in the low point of the grid, we are also riding the wave to the high point.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...