Skip to main content

Greetings Feline Blanca!

When I was in grade school about the 4th grade, I remember a girl in my class had an electric blue eraser. It even had its own small plastic case that had a cut out cloud and a white cat with an oval head in an airplane. I had never seen anything like this. I was accustomed to the drab, putty colored eraser, or the angular Pink Pearl. I asked to see it. When it was up close, I saw the words “Hello Kitty high up in the sky”.  I noticed a bubble gum aroma coming from this eraser. This was the moment I was introduced to the land of wonderful world of Sanrio.
Throughout that year, my parents purchased for me many different scented erasers. Hello Kitty was the most proficient, but there were other characters—My Melody a white bunny with a pink hat covering its round ears, Tiny Poem was represented by a Raggedy Ann/ Holly Hobby clone and an obedient lamb. Just seeing these characters made me wonder about their back stories.
 I do believe this was the exact moment that I became fanatical about office supplies. So much so, that I stored them away. They were protected in a sky blue box with a bright rainbow on the lid and fluffy clouds on each of its sides. Looking back with grown up eyes, it really was a glorified cigar box, but at the time it was totally awesome!
I really thought with protecting them, they would keep their scents and pristine lusters and be used at the right time. However, after a while, I noticed that the bubble gum and floral smells were fading, and the plastic containers were chipping. What was left were muted colored pieces of plastic. By hoarding these items, I never did get to truly enjoy them. Math homework could have been dazzled up a bit with a scented eraser wiping away the mistakes.
I recognize I have a tendency to compartmentalize, waiting for the right moment to utilize an item, be it food, clothing or office supplies.  The more I live life, the more I see that there is never going to be an exact, shining time that will present itself with a whirlwind. Rather, pockets of opportunities abound and tasks can be made less mundane.  What I need to do is find a sleek Hello Kitty pen and matching stationary to write out my grocery lists!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Goodbye tomatoes!

Grocery shopping is mundane and routine, wouldn't you agree? I find I roam through the aisles in the same route as I do each week. I walk by, barely acknowledging the other shoppers. Yet we are all in the same mission: methodically filling our carts and checking off our grocery lists, either manually or electronically. However, a few weeks ago, something different happened at the produce section.  There I was, surveying the bananas,trying to find a bunch that didn't have many bruises. Suddenly, a little four year old girl with brunette hair appeared by my side. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the bananas, humming a whimsical tune. Soon, she scampered off.  I turned around and saw her mother wasn't far from her. Mom was standing next the the tomato display. My eyes focused on the little girl, who was now babbling to the tomato stack. Then, her mother called her name, telling her it was time to go. With a tiny wave, she sang, "Goodbye tomatoes!" I smiled, tickled b...