Skip to main content

More than a bargain

It's amazing how something as mundane as standing in line at the grocery store can offer a life lesson.
It happened to me a few weeks ago. I was the fourth person in line at the store and my hands were full. I only went to the store for one thing, peanut butter, so I saw no reason to get a cart. How short sighted of me!
 As I shopped, I was reminded that we needed bread to go with the peanut butter. Also, in the same aisle there were tea bags, and I remembered we were getting low on them.  For some reason, tea reminded me of beverages, and I recalled we were almost out of milk. On the way to the back of the store, I saw there was a sale on 12 rolls of bathroom tissue. That was a great buy, so I had to get that. Wow, stores must LOVE customers like me!
That’s how I ended up the fourth person in line with 5 items precariously balanced in my arms. The bathroom tissue served as a tray, with the bread, peanut butter and tea bag box sitting on top. The milk I held by the handle. The line was at a standstill. This fact wasn’t lost on the two people ahead of me. I overheard their complaining that there was only one cashier open at this end of the store.  I looked ahead and saw the cashier was having trouble ringing up one of the items. A panicked look was on her face as she scanned and rescanned the uncooperative product. Finally, she called for help, to the chorus of these two people’s grumblings.
Suddenly, my balancing act faltered. The tea box plummeted to the ground, a loud thump echoing throughout the quiet store. However, the two people ahead of me didn’t turn around. For a second, I stared at them in disbelief. I noticed the woman ahead of me had her hands free, she had pumpkins in a cart and the man ahead of her had only a pair of pants in his hands. Surely, one of them will turn around and help pick up my wayward item! It’s not like they didn’t hear it fall! Alas, no one was coming to my aid. I was on my own.
Carefully, I squatted down, placed the milk container on the ground to free up my right hand. Holding the “tray” with my left hand, the peanut butter and bread under my chin, I retrieved the escaped tea bags. I figured I would leave the milk on the ground and push it with my foot.  When I straightened up, I was feeling angry at their lack of assistance. What was wrong with them!
The cashier got the help she needed and was able to finish the transaction.  The line began to move. I was able to finally put my items on the counter. I observed that the cashier greeted the man purchasing the pair of pants, but he completely ignored her.   Next in line was the women with the pumpkins. Again the cashier said good morning, but was only greeted by an icy stare.
I saw after each of these unfriendly exchanges the cashier’s expression get darker and darker. She was really affected by these people’s attitudes. I could relate! I decided instead of letting their rudeness get to me, I would do the exact opposite of them.
I noticed the people behind me was a mother and her little girl, who was holding the large packet of bathroom tissue (I wasn’t the only one who thought it was a good buy!) The packet was almost as big as the little girl, and she was trying to lift it to the counter. Mom couldn’t help, since her arms were full--a woman after my own heart! I reached out and placed the packet on the counter. Her cherub face lit up with a thankful smile.
Now I was the cashier’s next customer. After her last encounters, she didn’t even look up at me, just went along her business scanning my items.  I smiled at her and said, “Good morning, how’s it going?”
Her head snapped up, a relieved, sunny look on her face, “Fine, how are you?”
Just with friendly words, the cashier’s attitude changed. As I gathered my bags, she was back to her friendly self, chatting with the next customers.
I also noticed that my disposition was soaring—by doing these random acts of kindness, I wasn’t feeling down in the dumps any more.  I didn’t let unkindness get to me and that made all the difference. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Goodbye tomatoes!

Grocery shopping is mundane and routine, wouldn't you agree? I find I roam through the aisles in the same route as I do each week. I walk by, barely acknowledging the other shoppers. Yet we are all in the same mission: methodically filling our carts and checking off our grocery lists, either manually or electronically. However, a few weeks ago, something different happened at the produce section.  There I was, surveying the bananas,trying to find a bunch that didn't have many bruises. Suddenly, a little four year old girl with brunette hair appeared by my side. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the bananas, humming a whimsical tune. Soon, she scampered off.  I turned around and saw her mother wasn't far from her. Mom was standing next the the tomato display. My eyes focused on the little girl, who was now babbling to the tomato stack. Then, her mother called her name, telling her it was time to go. With a tiny wave, she sang, "Goodbye tomatoes!" I smiled, tickled b...