Skip to main content

The Newest Member Part 1

“What in the world is that doing here?” Mimosa asked, his whiskers twitching. He, Stanley and Pepper sat together on the living room floor. They were all staring at the creature curled on the floor next to the couch. Its black fur almost blended into the dark brown couch behind it.
                “From what I can gather, that puppy is just sitting there,” Stanley answered, leaping up on top of the wooden coffee table for an observational, non-committal look from above. 
                The puppy looked up at Stanley with her light brown eyes rimmed with blue. She opened her mouth and let her tongue hang out in greeting.
                “Wow! Is this all it can do?” Mimosa groaned, joining Stanley on the coffee table. “Stick its tongue out?”
                “Well, she’s young, give it some time,” Stanley advised, watching the puppy as she now happily chewed on her own paw.
                “I’m so happy!” Pepper cried, wagging her tail and going into true downward dog position. “I’m not the only dog! I’m not outnumbered!”
                “Well, you should tell her that the paws are for walking, not for chewing!” Mimosa suggested, shaking his head at the puppy in disgust.
                “Okay, okay,” Pepper sprang to her feet and trotted over to the puppy. “Stop chewing on your paws!” she shouted, enunciating every syllable.
                “She’s slow, not deaf!” Mimosa hissed, tightly closing his eyes to the ruckus Pepper was making.
                “She’s a puppy, not slow!” Stanley swatted Mimosa’s ear in reprimand.  “Don’t be mean!”
                The puppy stopped chewing on her paw and looked at Pepper. “Who?” she whimpered.
                “Hey! She can talk!” Mimosa snapped his head up.
                “Of course she can!” Stanley said, busying himself by cleaning the back of his ears with his paw.
                “Does she think she’s an owl?” Pepper whispered to the cats on the table, her brow furrowed with worry. 
                “No, Pepper. She’s young and will probably speak in one or two word sentences.” Stanley sighed.  “The puppy was asking what your name is.”
                “Oooh!” Pepper nodded her head in realization. Directing her gaze to the puppy, she answered slowly, “My…name…is…Pepper! I…am…a…dog…like…you! What…is…your…name?”
(To be continued....)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...