Skip to main content

The movie extras in your life

There was a hilarious show called Dr. Katz: Professional Therapist that was on Comedy Central a few years back.  It had a very clever concept: Jonathon Katz played a Bob Newhart-esque psychiatrist and comedians were his “patients”.  His dry humor with quiet delivery was very conducive to the comedians’ uproarious delivery.
One of the comedians featured was Louis C K. His routine on the couch consisted of explaining how he is starting to see the same stranger twice.  His conclusion was that God was running out of extras in the movie of his life. To drive home his point, he put on the voice of God (very deep and authoritative) instructing a person to run into Louis when on the bus.
However, the man objected, stating he was the jogger that ran by him just today.
God’s retort? “Just go! Put on a hat, I don’t care!” (clip of the episode below, Bees and SIDS, Minutes 8:47 through 9:15)
This concept of “movie extras” in my life stuck with me. After watching this particular episode, I decided to be aware of the people around me more closely, especially on my way to work. I found this travel time quiet and reflective, primed for observation.  Also, I was on the road for at least 40 minutes. Surely that would give me enough time to look about! Besides, driving into work can be pretty mundane—always with the same crowded freeway and roads. I figured this exercise would liven things up a bit.
It actually worked. For months, I saw the same truck on the road.  Granted, this full sized truck was hard to miss. It was painted in a metallic, shiny purple color with sunflower yellow script written on the tail gate. Every day, this truck was either in front, beside or behind me.
Contrary to the episode, I didn’t feel God was running out of extras in my life. Rather the extras in the movie of my life were having recurring appearances, cameo roles if you will.
Then again, maybe God had a conversation with the driver:
“You, in the purple truck, drive in front of Diane!”
“But I was just driving side by side with her yesterday! Surely she will recognize me!”
“No matter, wear a hat!”
I grew to expect seeing this truck on my way to work. We had a connection, though we never met face to face.  We were both going to work at the same time and route. In a large city as Las Vegas, where people can be quite anonymous, this simple observation of a familiar vehicle was very comforting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Only one day for love?!

Last week at my Toastmasters club meeting, we ran out of time for Table Topics. This segment of the meeting is when a club member is assigned to give the other members questions so they can give an impromptu 1-2 speech on that topic. Typically, the questions are related to the theme of the meeting.  Naturally, the theme of the meeting was Valentine’s Day. It was offered that next week these Table Topics could be used. Then it was shared that may not be a good idea, since the questions related to romance and “lovey dovey” stuff. I said “It shouldn't matter if we do this next week. Do we only have one day that we can talk about love?!” I have been thinking about this the day after Valentine’s. How much emphasis is focused on this day that it has to be super romantic? What about the people without partners? Isn't it cruel to exclude them from a basic feeling such as love? Also, as I grow older, I’m not a huge fan of all of the paraphernalia that is sold during this day. Sure,...