Skip to main content

COVID-19 interference

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in my car outside of the hospital playing solitaire on my cell phone, waiting for my husband to receive some stitches. Typically, I would be back with him lending at least moral support. Now with COVID-19 precautions, the new normal required me to remain in the car. I must admit, I felt a bit annoyed, even though  it was a routine procedure and my absence was minuscule.  
As I looked out the windshield, I reflected how I never thought I would live to see things like this happening--the reports of new cases, death tolls rising. I was amazed that my regiment for going out was donning a mask and keeping a healthy supply of hand sanitizer. This train of thought put me in an upset mood. 
Then, my gaze fell upon a heavily pregnant woman walking along the path on her way to the hospital. The sight of her brought back memories of when I was pregnant. I remember how our friends and family were able to visit the hospital before the actual birth and how my husband never left my side. I felt sorry for this woman, because there was a good chance she would not be able to have her natural supports with her in the hospital room since COVID-19 was ever present in our daily lives.  
The phone game was not giving me any comfort at all. I didn't dare look at the news feed on my phone to increase my anxiety.  I sat in my car, feeling myself growing more agitated. My breathing was becoming rapid, my leg was bouncing and my head was pounding. My simmering foul mood was becoming an all out boil. 
The abrupt opening of the car door shook me from my pondering.  My husband was back in the car.  He told me how the doctor and nurses were as friendly as ever and he was well taken care of even though I was not in the room. My thought process promptly shifted to a hopeful one. I remembered when I was in the hospital for the birth of my son, not only was my husband there, but so were the nurses. They were so helpful and caring during my hard pangs of labor. The woman was on her way to a hospital where there were caring staff that would help her out in her due date time, I was sure of it. 
It's very easy for me to become discouraged during these times. Memories of how things were can become cumbersome.  However, I'm finding that by taking time to see what is going on at the moment eases the heaviness, and brings to light the good things that have stayed the same. 
. 


 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Goodbye tomatoes!

Grocery shopping is mundane and routine, wouldn't you agree? I find I roam through the aisles in the same route as I do each week. I walk by, barely acknowledging the other shoppers. Yet we are all in the same mission: methodically filling our carts and checking off our grocery lists, either manually or electronically. However, a few weeks ago, something different happened at the produce section.  There I was, surveying the bananas,trying to find a bunch that didn't have many bruises. Suddenly, a little four year old girl with brunette hair appeared by my side. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the bananas, humming a whimsical tune. Soon, she scampered off.  I turned around and saw her mother wasn't far from her. Mom was standing next the the tomato display. My eyes focused on the little girl, who was now babbling to the tomato stack. Then, her mother called her name, telling her it was time to go. With a tiny wave, she sang, "Goodbye tomatoes!" I smiled, tickled b...