Skip to main content

Hearing the here and now

Months ago, as I was driving, I happened to noticed that Canyon Hearing Aid Center was torn down to make way for more parking for the next door convenience store. For some reason, I felt sad about this new turn of events.
I should have been accustomed to this type of change of landscape.  Being from Las Vegas NV, I had seen many hotel and casino buildings disappearing off the face of the earth. For instance, I remember watching on television the implosions of the Landmark and the Sands Hotels. Years ago, I had been a guest at the Landmark , which was a fanciful building, true to its name. I also visited the Sands’ kitchen facilities  when I was attending UNLV.  It was somber to see history be turned into dust.  At least these implosions made way for construction of larger hotels, supplying jobs and eventually more tourists.  
Maybe the reason I was saddened by this destruction of Canyon Hearing Aid Center was that someone lost his livelihood. This land was just being used as a parking lot.  
I had visited this establishment a couple of years back.  My husband had noticed that when he spoke to me I responded by asking him what did he say.  I argued that sometimes he spoke in low tones. However, I did notice at times I was asking other people to repeat themselves. He became concerned and insisted I have my hearing checked. We had seen Canyon Hearing Aid Center many times in our travels and one day we drove to this facility. I wasn’t looking forward to the hearing test at all—it was a reminder to me that I was growing old and one of my senses might be betraying me.  
When we stepped into the building, it appeared that time had stood still in these rooms.  The man who did my hearing test was none other than Dan McCuskey. He looked exactly like he did on the local commercials. I mentioned to him he was much taller than he was on television. With a deadpan demeanor, he stated that he was sitting down for the commercial, so of course no one could tell his real height.
I explained the reason behind my appointment and he administered a battery of hearing tests. The results were my hearing was perfect. Though I was thrilled I wasn’t in need of a hearing aid, I was curious why sometimes I had to ask someone to repeat what he/she just said? He explained as we age, we sometimes cannot process words as quickly as we used to when we were younger. He suggested instead of asking the person to repeat him/herself, just state “I cannot listen as fast as you’re talking!” I found him to be very knowledgeable and had a good dose of common sense.
I wasn’t quite joyous about the news that I wouldn’t be receiving a hearing aid today. It didn’t change the fact that I was growing older and this realization was disheartening.  As I left the examining room, I saw that Mr. McCuskey was speaking with a delivery driver in his office.  The subject they were speaking about was of motorcycles. From what I overheard, the delivery driver was asking Mr. McCuskey did he enjoy going on his latest bike ride.
I couldn’t believe my ears (I knew I heard right, I had a print out to prove that!)—here was this gentleman older than I was and he was riding motorcycles?! I was inspired by this and decided that though I may be growing older, that didn’t mean I would stop being vital.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any mention of the closing of Canyon Hearing Aid Center.  I hope that Mr. McCuskey is enjoying himself, riding his motorcycle into the sunset. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...