Skip to main content

Hardly knew you

Full disclosure--I'm a news junkie. When I turn on the television, I will invariably change it to a news channel. I cannot walk pass a newspaper without taking a peek at the headlines. Now, with my Smartphone, I can constantly keep up to date with all varieties of news. It's so neatly arranged in categories, such as Top Stories, Entertainment and Sports.
Typically, the Sports section I breeze right through, be it television, newspapers or Smart Phone. It's not because I've never been a sports fan. Growing up in Southern California, I was a supporter of the Los Angeles Dodgers.   Back in that day, my parents were subscribers to the team's newspaper Dodger Blue. Within these pages, I could keep up with all the players, such as Steve Sax, FernandoValenzula and Mike Scioscia. 
However, after we moved to Las Vegas and later on to Idaho, I slowly lost touch with this team. Nowadays, if I see a game with the LA Dodgers, I am painfully reminded that I don't know any of the players and the ones I did know are now coaches, such as Rick Honeycutt and Steve Yeager.
Now back a week ago, a Sports headline on my SmartPhone caught my eye before I swept to the next topic. The cropped headline read: "Tony Gwynn, Hall of Famer..."
I remembered that name. It used to instill fear in me, a Dodger fans, when Vin Scully (or Jerry Doggett or Ross Porter) announced this powerhouse player was up at bat for the opposing team , the San Diego Padres.  As I clicked on the link, I thought "I haven't seen his name in the news recently, so this may not be good..."
Sadly enough, the article was about his untimely and tragic death from cancer.
As I read the article, I was impressed by the paragraph that told he took videos of himself at batting practice and had his wife video tape his televised games. He used these footage to study and observe ways of improving his batting skills.
I became intrigued and started searching other articles about Tony Gwynn. No longer did I see him as a baseball player threatening the Dodger's winning streak.  I found many writers giving personal stories about him, not just a tremendous player but a caring and genuine person.
I was saddened that I didn't learn too much about him until after he passed away. Then, I saw this as an opportunity: instead of breezing by the Sports section, I could start being a little more observant of the articles. There could be a gem of a person hidden in the columns.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...