Skip to main content

New Year's Resolution on Repeat

With the New Year upon us, it reminds me that I need to keep one resolution I made a few years ago in the forefront.
I have had lower back troubles throughout my adult life. It plagued me whenever I would vacuum, lift something heavy or put my socks on. All of a sudden, I would feel the searing snap above my hips and my back would lock up. I was literally down for the count.
It’s just plain awful when a part of your body is out of commission. It wasn't bad enough that my lower back was in spasms—soon, the pain would radiate down my leg and cause this limb to shudder. For a period of two weeks, I had to completely modify my usual routine in order to heal. Even a simple task like getting a glass of water was a torturous ordeal.
It’s times like these when you really appreciate your family. My husband was terrific—he took over my domestic chores without a fuss. Also my son pitched in and was very concerned about me. When I would slightly adjust my position on the couch and groan in pain, he would cry out “For the love of God, Mom, don’t move!”
A few years ago, I decided I was too young to be in this ritual of pain, and my doctor prescribed physical therapy. The physical therapist was very patient and down to earth. She gave me regiment of therapeutic exercises to strengthen my core. After a couple of weeks, I started to notice a difference. After a session, when I got into my car, I had to adjust the rear view mirror because I was sitting taller in the driver’s seat. I hadn't realized that I had been slouching until now. Muscle memory was alive and kicking!

I am so happy I made that decision years ago. I have not thrown out my back since then. I’m listening to my body and carving out time to exercise, a simple, but powerful solution. It looks like perfect timing-- I now have a New Year’s resolution custom made.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Only one day for love?!

Last week at my Toastmasters club meeting, we ran out of time for Table Topics. This segment of the meeting is when a club member is assigned to give the other members questions so they can give an impromptu 1-2 speech on that topic. Typically, the questions are related to the theme of the meeting.  Naturally, the theme of the meeting was Valentine’s Day. It was offered that next week these Table Topics could be used. Then it was shared that may not be a good idea, since the questions related to romance and “lovey dovey” stuff. I said “It shouldn't matter if we do this next week. Do we only have one day that we can talk about love?!” I have been thinking about this the day after Valentine’s. How much emphasis is focused on this day that it has to be super romantic? What about the people without partners? Isn't it cruel to exclude them from a basic feeling such as love? Also, as I grow older, I’m not a huge fan of all of the paraphernalia that is sold during this day. Sure,...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...