Skip to main content

Ow! My eyes!

A few days ago, I was watching TV with my husband. The Jimmy Dean sausage commercial came on the screen.  The Sun and his wife sitting at the breakfast table eating the fully cooked Jimmy Dean sausage patties.  When there is only one patty left, they both jab it with their forks. As a test of wills, they commence in a stare down contest. Of course, the wife conveniently forgets she is married to the Sun. When he raises his eyebrows, she is blinded by the implied rays.  At the end, he takes the last sausage patty and chastises her, “Didn't anyone ever tell you not to stare  at the sun?”
At the end of the commercial, I turned to my husband and declared I didn't think her husband was very nice. I suggested that they should have added at the end, the Sun shares the sausage patty with her. Or better yet, gives her the whole sausage patty since she probably has retinal damage! 
My husband replied that the whole commercial was silly because how can a person be married to the Sun?  I concurred, mentioning wouldn't she vaporize if she was that close to the Sun? My husband reminded me of another commercial of theirs where all of the planets are in a conference room.  How is that possible?
I remembered years ago (careful now, my age is showing!!) that the spokesman for Jimmy Dean sausage was in fact Jimmy Dean—a singer and actor.  These commercials had a homespun feel to them. It was as if Mr. Dean was inviting the viewers to step into his kitchen for some breakfast.  
Now, these modern day commercials had a different approach, testing our imagination to buy into the fact that the Sun can be down on Earth and have human-like relationships. What did that have to do with buying sausage?
Suddenly, it occurred to me—here I was debating the merits of the commercial, trying to make sense of it. However, by just thinking about these commercials, their marketing people have accomplished their goal. How clever is that?!

One thing I do know for sure is whatever I have for breakfast tomorrow, I won’t have to go into a staring contest with my husband! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Only one day for love?!

Last week at my Toastmasters club meeting, we ran out of time for Table Topics. This segment of the meeting is when a club member is assigned to give the other members questions so they can give an impromptu 1-2 speech on that topic. Typically, the questions are related to the theme of the meeting.  Naturally, the theme of the meeting was Valentine’s Day. It was offered that next week these Table Topics could be used. Then it was shared that may not be a good idea, since the questions related to romance and “lovey dovey” stuff. I said “It shouldn't matter if we do this next week. Do we only have one day that we can talk about love?!” I have been thinking about this the day after Valentine’s. How much emphasis is focused on this day that it has to be super romantic? What about the people without partners? Isn't it cruel to exclude them from a basic feeling such as love? Also, as I grow older, I’m not a huge fan of all of the paraphernalia that is sold during this day. Sure,...