Skip to main content

Drop that bread!

A few nights ago, my family and I went out to eat at Smoky Mountain Pizzeria Grill, a local restaurant that specializes in Italian food. Evidently, that night everyone in the valley decided to eat here as well. We soon discovered this when we saw many people milling around the entrance, sitting on benches, all with a glazed look in their eye. As I gave our name to the hostess, I asked how long of a way it would be. I was informed it would be 15-20 minutes.  We decided that would be fine and we sat down on a cushioned bench, joining the other hungry patrons.
Sitting a few feet away from the other diners wasn't pleasant. The aromas of garlic, marinara and pesto hung heavily in the air, making my stomach gurgle. If I hadn't figured it out, my son kept reminding me how hungry he was. I caught myself surveying the dining area, seeking out empty tables just vacated that may soon be ready.
Then, out of the blue, another host started walking through the waiting lobby with a basket of hot garlic bread.  I thought this was a nice gesture since we were waiting at least 20 minutes for a table. When he came to our party, I took a napkin from the stack he was carrying in one hand and used the napkin to pick a piece of garlic bread from the basket he held out with his other hand.
I bit into the bread, savoring its warmth, its buttery herbs and crunchiness of the crust. My stomach pangs were subsiding a bit.
My husband commented to me that I shouldn't be eating the bread. He further elaborated how was I to know if everyone had washed their hands before reaching for the bread. He observed the people before me didn't use a napkin to pick a piece of bread.
Mind you, I’m already three bites into this food that I was previously enjoying! I gave my husband the stink-eye and asked him why didn't he mention this helpful tidbit BEFORE I took the bread?  My son-in-law, trying to make me feel better, mentioned that I set a good example, because he saw the other patrons using a napkin instead of reaching with their bare hands.
When we were seated, I analyzed every gurgle or twinge in my stomach. I couldn't shake the mental memory of an episode of Family Guy, when Peter Griffin is at a restaurant, thumbs through the basket of bread and asked if the sign on the bathroom about washing your hands only applied to employees!Somehow, I managed to push this thought out of my mind and enjoyed me meal. Thankfully, I didn't get sick afterwards.
After a few days, I got to thinking of my original impression that it was a nice gesture to offer a snack to the hungry waiting patrons. I didn't want to harbor any ill feelings about the dining experience.  With that,  I decided to place a call to the restaurant. As luck would have it, the person who answered the phone actually works at the corporate office. He listened to my suggestion to add serving tongs to the basket and announced he was going to bring it up at the next managers meeting for all of the restaurants.

I hope that they will continue to give samples, just in a more business-like manner rather than blindly trusting everyone has washed up before dinner, like I did!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...