Skip to main content

With these few words...


A few years ago I was on my way to work at a temporary labor and office agency.  I was walking down a flight of stairs and my mind was completely occupied. I was thinking about the day ahead of me—what positions were needing to be filled, and how many interviews would be generated from the want ads placed in that Sunday’s newspaper. I was going into work mode, complete with a serious façade.
A man was walking up the stairs in the opposite direction. I barely noticed him, until he stopped on the stair and said to me with a bright smile “Good morning, I’m thinking this and I’m just going to say it -- you look nice today!” He said this without being salacious, and he seemed genuine.
 I smiled in return and kept heading down the stairs. I looked at the dress I was wearing, a bold red striped dress, one of my favorites. I was touched that he made a sweet compliment. Throughout that whole day, no matter what pressures were at the office, I had an inward smile due to his kind words. To this day, I still remember his comment and how it made me feel.
From that point forward, I make it a point to pass on genuine compliments to people I knew and when the timing is right, to total strangers.  Sometimes I get a mumbled thank you, but most of the time it opens up a friendly dialogue.
I guess I want to pass along the good feeling that stranger’s comment accomplished so many years ago.
Isn’t it amazing how someone’s kind random comment can turn your day around? Have you paid someone a random compliment today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...