Skip to main content

In memory of Larry Hagman


The news of the death of Larry Hagman on Friday included remembrances of his past work, such as I Dream of Jeannie and Dallas. Personally, I didn’t watch these shows and they aren’t the first things that come to mind. There was one memory of Larry Hagman I have and it still resides with me to this day.
Years ago, I had seen him in an interview where he was describing advice his psychiatrist had given him “Don’t worry, be happy.”  This advice was life changing to Mr Hagman. He immediately took these words to heart and it became his motto. However, just hearing the words wasn't enough for him. He wanted to share this message with everyone. He made a large sign proclaiming these words. He added Feel Good and displayed it outside of his Malibu house at the time.  
I don’t know what it was about this simple message, but it stuck with me.  Even to this day, if I notice I’m feeling the blahs, I think of these words and I actually do start to feel good and happy (I’m still working on the “don’t worry” part!).   I could be cynical and think of course he would feel good living in beautiful  and opulent Malibu, but surroundings don’t dictate how you feel.
I’m saddened that he lost his battle with cancer, but I have a feeling he kept his motto close to his heart and obeyed it to the end. May he rest in peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...