Skip to main content

Driving without the radio


I am an incurable multi-tasker. One way I found to multi-task was listening to books on CD while I drove. It was very enjoyable, since listening to a book on CD is very different than reading the words on the page. The reader makes a huge difference. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was a compelling novel, but SimonVances strong and distinguished voice made the story resonate within me. By listening to books on CD in my travels, I was able to absorb more books than I could by reading them. I felt I was accomplishing more than just getting from point A to point B, though my safety in driving was never affected.
You will notice as I speak about this, I am using the past tense. This is why.
A few weeks ago, I was listening to an audio CD in my car that was Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, which coincidentally is in itself multi-tasking. The book combines historical data with whimsy, sort of like 2 books for the price of one. When the CD ended, I tried to eject it, but it wouldn’t cooperate. No matter how much I pushed the eject button, the CD continued to play.
This isn’t right, I thought, as I turned off the radio.
My husband saved the day by removing the CD from the radio without damaging it. However, that was the end of the radio--it was permanently broken. This was bad news-- no longer would my travels be enhanced by listening to the latest Michael Connelly novel, not to mention now I wouldn’t know how ALVH ended.   
The next day I had to drive without the radio and I wasn’t looking forward to it. The first few minutes, the silence assaulted me.  I was positive that my travel would be endless and torturous.
After a couple of miles, I began to notice that the silence wasn’t a hindrance, but rather a nice change. I was unplugged from the constant noise of modern life. With this absence of noise distractions, I noticed that my mind felt uncluttered.   I readily spotted the same model cars on the road as I was driving, creating my own version of punchbuggy without the punching and the buggy.
I also began to enjoy the random thoughts and ideas that would pop in my head.  Being a writer, these mental morsels are essential, and I appreciated this rolling, quiet think tank.
 I know soon the radio will be replaced (my son is missing listening to the top 40 music!) but I can’t say for sure if I will go back to listening to books on CD again while I drive. Maybe I can be a reformed multi-tasker and enjoy focusing on one thing at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...