Skip to main content

Thoughts on Gore Vidal

Last week in the news was the passing of author Gore Vidal. I have never read any of his works, but knew of him from interviews and documentaries. When I was a girl, I remembered him on the Dick Cavett Show in a tweed jacket, speaking in a deep and somber tone of complicated issues that my young brain couldn’t comprehend.  It added to his mystique. When I got older, my opinion was his appearance on a show added validity to the topic; he seemed to have such a self assured air about him. Also, I always liked the way his name sounded—Gore Vidal had an intellectual ring to it. 
Recently, I read an article and one of the take aways was Vidal was upset most of his professional life by the fact that he wasn’t as commercially well known as Norman Mailer nor Truman Capote and felt overshadowed by them.  My head snapped up—I was amazed that his brilliant man was actually jealous of other writers!
What a wasted energy jealousy is—here was Vidal a renowned and thought-provoking author plagued by envy to the end. After reading the article, it made me realize that the man I always thought was on a higher mental plane of intelligence was surprisingly human after all.  
From my perspective, each of these writers held a piece of their own brilliance in their own light. Also their personalities were so different and distinct, there’s no way a person could mix them up—Mailer gruff and no nonsense, Capote flamboyant and witty, Vidal brooding and ponderous. Each of these men added significantly to the American literary landscape. I was saddened to think Vidal was always in fierce competition with them to be the Most Well Know American Writer. To me, that mantle has an abundant amount of room for many more writers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Goodbye tomatoes!

Grocery shopping is mundane and routine, wouldn't you agree? I find I roam through the aisles in the same route as I do each week. I walk by, barely acknowledging the other shoppers. Yet we are all in the same mission: methodically filling our carts and checking off our grocery lists, either manually or electronically. However, a few weeks ago, something different happened at the produce section.  There I was, surveying the bananas,trying to find a bunch that didn't have many bruises. Suddenly, a little four year old girl with brunette hair appeared by my side. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the bananas, humming a whimsical tune. Soon, she scampered off.  I turned around and saw her mother wasn't far from her. Mom was standing next the the tomato display. My eyes focused on the little girl, who was now babbling to the tomato stack. Then, her mother called her name, telling her it was time to go. With a tiny wave, she sang, "Goodbye tomatoes!" I smiled, tickled b...