Skip to main content

What is your favorite TV show?

My new favorite TV show is Chopped on Food Network.  From the moment I started watching it, I became a fast fan.  This show took a tried and true concept of a cooking competition and threw in a twist. The four competing chefs have to incorporate in their dishes the secret ingredients that are concealed in a basket. Then they are timed to create a dish for the judges. If the food doesn’t hit on all cylinders of the criteria of taste, creativity and presentation, the chef is eliminated, hence the name of the show “chopped”.
I gravitate to shows that the more I watch, the more I became aware of its different aspects. The first layer of this show I was intrigued by with the unusual ingredient combos—who thinks of pairing frozen waffles with fish? I’ve heard of fried chicken and waffles, so maybe…? Then, I am amazed that the chefs change the texture of the waffle by simply grinding it up to crumbs to make a coating for the fish. Honestly, to figure that out would take me all day! By watching this show, I am starting to expand my cooking knowledge—for instance, I’m using salad dressing as a marinade! I know, not a great culinary leap, but these baby steps are a sign of progress!
 After viewing more episodes of Chopped, another layer emerged for me. At the start, I was interested in the food. Now I have started rooting for one of the four competing chefs. I have become vested in their back stories—the chef who is a cancer survivor gets my vote rather than the successful, glossy caterer. I watch their reactions to the secret ingredients. If a chef turns their nose up at a mundane ingredient like puffed rice cereal, they don’t get my support.  I tend to favor the chefs that are down to earth, friendly, aren’t full of themselves --in short the least like a chef.
Lastly, even though the ingredients and the challengers change, there is a certain consistency on the show that is comforting. I can always be sure that the host Ted Allen will announce in his taciturn manner who will be chopped (which is always after the commercial break) and that one of the competing chefs will argue with a judge that how could it be expected for them to produce under these horrible time constraints (would someone please remind them what the show is all about?)
Looking at the time, I’d better see if there could be a Chopped marathon playing. If not, I can check my kitchen and see what I can throw together for my family. Balsamic vinegar and cherries anyone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Goodbye tomatoes!

Grocery shopping is mundane and routine, wouldn't you agree? I find I roam through the aisles in the same route as I do each week. I walk by, barely acknowledging the other shoppers. Yet we are all in the same mission: methodically filling our carts and checking off our grocery lists, either manually or electronically. However, a few weeks ago, something different happened at the produce section.  There I was, surveying the bananas,trying to find a bunch that didn't have many bruises. Suddenly, a little four year old girl with brunette hair appeared by my side. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the bananas, humming a whimsical tune. Soon, she scampered off.  I turned around and saw her mother wasn't far from her. Mom was standing next the the tomato display. My eyes focused on the little girl, who was now babbling to the tomato stack. Then, her mother called her name, telling her it was time to go. With a tiny wave, she sang, "Goodbye tomatoes!" I smiled, tickled b...