Skip to main content

Gimme lots of hair!

Today my teenage son, Derek, got his first professional haircut. This is a momentous occasion at our house. For years, he didn’t care how his hair looked. When it got completely out of control, Dad would give him a short buzz cut. However, today, with a patient hairstylist, he picked out the style and didn’t resist--he was finally ready. Now, he looks so handsome, much better than the thick bed head he had been sporting! 
As I admired the precision cut around his ears and youthful spiky bangs, I remembered his very first haircut. He was two years old and still had his fine baby hair. I worried over the patchiness and corn silk quality of his hair. When he was a baby, this hair looked natural—now it looked completely out of place.   
One day, my husband suggested cutting all of Derek’s hair off. That way, it would give the new hair more room to grow. I had heard of this logic before—my father knew fellow workers who would yearly shave their heads and thicker hair would indeed grow in.
However, I wasn’t prepared for the shock when our son emerged from the bathroom.  My husband was behind him, clippers in hand. Our son was completed bald, his soft pink scalp exposed violently. I drew in my breath sharply, but didn’t want to scare him. I think I scared my husband, who quickly darted back into the bathroom. Derek looked at me with a big smile—he didn’t appear to be worse for the wear, just extremely bald.
Thankfully, in a few weeks, his hair grew in and it was THICK! His head was now topped with wavy, chestnut locks. This change was a relief to me and was really noticeable, as I was to find out when I when I took him to the pediatrician for a checkup. In the waiting room was another two year old with the awkward baby hair patches. As Derek joined him in sharing building blocks, I noticed the boy’s mother staring at my son. Finally, this woman asked me how was my son’s hair so nice and thick? I smiled and prefaced that my advice was drastic. I told her that we shaved off his baby hair a few weeks ago. She raised her eyebrows, but seemed receptive to the idea. I warned her it’s very shocking to see your child with no hair. She nodded solemnly. She said she couldn’t stand looking at his bald spots anymore and was willing to try anything.
You know, back then I was so concerned about his hair’s thickness. Now, I just want him to be able to run a comb through it and look halfway decent!   Well, at least for the next six weeks, I can be sure he will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Goodbye tomatoes!

Grocery shopping is mundane and routine, wouldn't you agree? I find I roam through the aisles in the same route as I do each week. I walk by, barely acknowledging the other shoppers. Yet we are all in the same mission: methodically filling our carts and checking off our grocery lists, either manually or electronically. However, a few weeks ago, something different happened at the produce section.  There I was, surveying the bananas,trying to find a bunch that didn't have many bruises. Suddenly, a little four year old girl with brunette hair appeared by my side. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the bananas, humming a whimsical tune. Soon, she scampered off.  I turned around and saw her mother wasn't far from her. Mom was standing next the the tomato display. My eyes focused on the little girl, who was now babbling to the tomato stack. Then, her mother called her name, telling her it was time to go. With a tiny wave, she sang, "Goodbye tomatoes!" I smiled, tickled b...