Skip to main content

We drove and drove to Cottonwood Cove

I’ve lived in big cities all my life, so small towns are so foreign to me. Any town that doesn’t have a shopping mall boggles my mind! How do people survive?! My husband, on the other hand, was born in Darbyville, OH. At the time, the population was less than 100 people. He would joke that they would roll up the streets when the sun went down. He said this affectionately, for he said nothing beats living in a small town.  At this remark, I would look at him as if he grew another head.
Early in our marriage, he talked me into going on a camping trip. I have to admit, I was not thrilled at the prospect of spending a couple of days in a tent. Driving out of Las Vegas, we came across a small town named Cottonwood Cove, NV.  We spied the little restaurant to get some breakfast. I recall the restaurant was small, and clean, with local people milling around the counter. The atmosphere was relaxed and a feeling of down-home permeated through the walls. The locals were in conversations about their daily lives, laughter sprinkled throughout.
 We sat down and started looking through the menu. After I selected what I was going to eat, I looked about the restaurant.  One thing I saw shocked me--it was the cash register.  Actually, it wasn’t a cash register, but a cash drawer full of money sitting by itself on the counter. Being from large cities (Santa Monica, CA and Las Vegas), I had never seen anything like this before in my life. Here was a till full of cash, sitting in plain sight!  I kept thinking surely someone will lock this drawer full of money up, but no one did. There it sat, the food servers going to it periodically to place payments and make change. I worried that someone would rush in and snatch the drawer, and again no one did. This was perfectly normal in their world.
I pointed this out to my husband, who smiled and said, “This is a small town, isn’t it great!” Until that moment in that restaurant, I had no idea why he liked small towns. I always believed large cities had so much to offer—theaters, trendy restaurants, countless stores, bright lights. Of course, big cities offer other things not so desirable—pollution, crime and unfriendliness.  
  For the first time, I let my mind be quiet and enjoyed the simplicity and serenity.  I decided if the opportunity should present itself (which it did a few years later), I wouldn’t shy away from moving to a small town. The move was well worth the trade-off and I have that small restaurant in Cottonwood Cove to thank for this change of heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...

Goodbye tomatoes!

Grocery shopping is mundane and routine, wouldn't you agree? I find I roam through the aisles in the same route as I do each week. I walk by, barely acknowledging the other shoppers. Yet we are all in the same mission: methodically filling our carts and checking off our grocery lists, either manually or electronically. However, a few weeks ago, something different happened at the produce section.  There I was, surveying the bananas,trying to find a bunch that didn't have many bruises. Suddenly, a little four year old girl with brunette hair appeared by my side. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the bananas, humming a whimsical tune. Soon, she scampered off.  I turned around and saw her mother wasn't far from her. Mom was standing next the the tomato display. My eyes focused on the little girl, who was now babbling to the tomato stack. Then, her mother called her name, telling her it was time to go. With a tiny wave, she sang, "Goodbye tomatoes!" I smiled, tickled b...