Skip to main content

Artist Appreciation

I have noticed the more I write, the more I appreciate all artists. It’s a giant leap from my brain to the page.  Since it is internalized so much, it can be scary to put words onto paper and putting it out there for others to read. Nevertheless, it’s what I really enjoy to do. I believe all artists feel this way--all we’re trying to do is share our talents with others.
 When I appreciate an artist, I may not particularly like their actual work. For me, an example would be Yoko Ono.  From what I knew of her work was off key singing and strange conceptual art.  I remembered Joan Rivers saying “Yoko OH-NO!”  in her comedy routine.
 However, I happened to read Ms Ono’s book recommendations in Oprah’s Magazine March 2011 and was intrigued. A couple of the books she mentioned I am putting on hold at the library—The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge MD and 50 Secrets of the World’s Longest Living People by Sally Beare. This was nothing I expected from her. Unfortunately I saw her as one-dimensional, namely her art work.  I was overlooking her as a person with interests outside of art. Now, I look at her with a different perspective—Ms Ono is one of a kind, no one else at that time was creating that type of artwork, and she is still relevant to this day.
I’m glad I read that article and learned more about Yoko Ono. Perhaps I’ll give her artwork another try.  Even if I still don’t like it, I respect the fact that she put it out there for the entire world to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Only one day for love?!

Last week at my Toastmasters club meeting, we ran out of time for Table Topics. This segment of the meeting is when a club member is assigned to give the other members questions so they can give an impromptu 1-2 speech on that topic. Typically, the questions are related to the theme of the meeting.  Naturally, the theme of the meeting was Valentine’s Day. It was offered that next week these Table Topics could be used. Then it was shared that may not be a good idea, since the questions related to romance and “lovey dovey” stuff. I said “It shouldn't matter if we do this next week. Do we only have one day that we can talk about love?!” I have been thinking about this the day after Valentine’s. How much emphasis is focused on this day that it has to be super romantic? What about the people without partners? Isn't it cruel to exclude them from a basic feeling such as love? Also, as I grow older, I’m not a huge fan of all of the paraphernalia that is sold during this day. Sure,...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...