Skip to main content

One answer to the question

One of my favorite things to do is watch CBS's Sunday Morning. I wake up before everyone else, brew my coffee and sit down to watch inspiring and uplifting stories. Sure, the program does begin with around the world headlines. However, I'm in the kitchen brewing my coffee, so I miss the latest depressing updates.
A  few months back, I was watching a story was about the singer Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees. He still had the lion's mane of hair, but now it were of a snowy white color.
The interviewer set up the scene with the announcement that he was the last surviving member of the Bee Gees and was embarking on his first solo tour. Yikes!
Throughout the show, clips of his brothers were shown. There they were, young and handsome, performing their famous songs or still shots: scenes of Andy with his guitar, The Bee Gees (Barry, Maurice and Robin) the screen in black and white performing  as youths. Then, it switched to color as "You Should be Dancing" was performed. Ah, the Disco Era, that's how I remember them!
Towards the end of the interview, Mr Gibb said,  "I don't know why I'm the only one left?"
That query was very poignant to me. I recalled seeing the news reports of all of their demises, but these incidences were years apart. Now, the severity of the fact that  he had lost ALL of his brothers saddened me.
Hey, Sunday Morning! Couldn't you have waited until Monday morning to bum me out?!
Then I reminded myself that there were some major points of the interview to consider. For instance, his wife of over 30 years had urged him to go back to the studio and keep the music alive (you know us wives, constantly pushing, good for her!!) He was still performing music, now his son and niece were in the group. I was touched by this and felt through the music, all parties were healing and coming to acceptance.
That's what I enjoy about this show: it can take a serious topic and flip it around so the positive side is realized.
Oh, Sunday Morning, you never let me down!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How's the haircut?

Isn't it amazing how a bad memory can stick to you like a wad of gum in your hair? You try to remove it, but in order to do that, you need to cut off some of your hair? At first, you’re apprehensive, but in the process, you end up with a nice hair style? At the beginning of my career, I was working at an apartment complex.  I must have upset my boss by interrupting him when he spoke to me.  I hadn't realized I was in a bad habit of talking over him. I was so anxious to prove I was on top of all the assignments, but in this process, wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. One day, he held up an eyeglass case and said this signified when it was his time to talk. In front of the other staff, he actually held up the case while he spoke to me. I was embarrassed by his demeaning ways. I didn't put any credence in his opinion. I wrote him off as being a mean old man! For a while, I carried this memory like a wad of hardened gum in my hair. It was brittle and would have

Just a note

If you visit my website, you can now read the first chapter of my book for free! Please feel free to click on its link below: website All I ask is please leave me a comment. Even to just say "hello" so I know that some people are reading it! Thanks everyone, and I'll talk with you later!! Diane

"B"lathering about soap

I have noticed lately I have picked up a new interest: hand made soaps. There are two incidences that introduced me to this world. The first incidence was perusing YouTube and stopping at a thumbnail of a soap maker's reaction video. I clicked on it and enjoyed the humorous take of the soap maker. She was down to earth, spunky and informative at the same time. Then I clicked on her channel and was intrigued by the vibrant colors and decadent designs. It was a mix of being soothing and fun.  The second incident was a feed from a soap company that was on my Facebook page.  Their glorious photograph of a swirling black raspberry hand made soap defied what I thought soap could be. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was a dessert. My mother would at times describe colors as being yummy and this soap fit it to a T.  What is it about this mundane item like a soap bar?   I wonder if it has to do with seeing all of the news about the importance of hand washing that has