Skip to main content

Mix Tape Madness

As the days grow closer to my wedding anniversary, my husband is asking what present do I want? This question turned my thinking to one of the best presents I received from him.
We had met over 20 years ago and on one of our first dates, he asked me how my parents came up with my name?. This question had a "getting to know you" feel to it. He had mentioned he was named after his father's friend, a fellow Marine who had died in combat. I sheepishly shared that my name wasn't as poignant as his history behind his name. My parents had come from a long standing tradition of naming the young after relatives.  When I was born, they may have wanted to make a change, because I was named after a song they liked. He had never heard of a song that was named Diane, so I sang (read warbled) a few of the lyrics.
A few dates later, he surprised me with a mix tape, a cassette tape with recorded songs.  (In those days, there was no Pandora on your phone, you had to buy the album or cassette tape. Otherwise, if you wanted to hear a favorite song, you had to either hope the radio station would play it or call into the radio station and request it. ) He said the songs on the cassette reminded him of me. (Awww!!) We were in my car, and I popped in the tape, curious to hear what songs he had chosen.
The first song that floated through the speakers was the original "Diane" by the Bachelors. I asked him how he was able to find this song, since it wasn't modern and a bit on the obscure side. He shared that he had called the "oldies" station The Jewel a couple of times. The first time he called, the DJ told him he had never heard of it. My then boyfriend, risking his own dignity, sang the lyrics in an attempt to jog the DJ's memory. After the performance, the DJ said would had to go to the archives, so call back later. When he did called later that evening, they could retrieve it and he was able to record it on the cassette tape. I said he didn't have to go through all of that trouble, to which he replied he didn't mind at all, it was for me.
To this day, I still have the mix tape and will never part with it. To me, it's still remains a romantic and thoughtful present.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

Goodbye tomatoes!

Grocery shopping is mundane and routine, wouldn't you agree? I find I roam through the aisles in the same route as I do each week. I walk by, barely acknowledging the other shoppers. Yet we are all in the same mission: methodically filling our carts and checking off our grocery lists, either manually or electronically. However, a few weeks ago, something different happened at the produce section.  There I was, surveying the bananas,trying to find a bunch that didn't have many bruises. Suddenly, a little four year old girl with brunette hair appeared by my side. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the bananas, humming a whimsical tune. Soon, she scampered off.  I turned around and saw her mother wasn't far from her. Mom was standing next the the tomato display. My eyes focused on the little girl, who was now babbling to the tomato stack. Then, her mother called her name, telling her it was time to go. With a tiny wave, she sang, "Goodbye tomatoes!" I smiled, tickled b...

Only one day for love?!

Last week at my Toastmasters club meeting, we ran out of time for Table Topics. This segment of the meeting is when a club member is assigned to give the other members questions so they can give an impromptu 1-2 speech on that topic. Typically, the questions are related to the theme of the meeting.  Naturally, the theme of the meeting was Valentine’s Day. It was offered that next week these Table Topics could be used. Then it was shared that may not be a good idea, since the questions related to romance and “lovey dovey” stuff. I said “It shouldn't matter if we do this next week. Do we only have one day that we can talk about love?!” I have been thinking about this the day after Valentine’s. How much emphasis is focused on this day that it has to be super romantic? What about the people without partners? Isn't it cruel to exclude them from a basic feeling such as love? Also, as I grow older, I’m not a huge fan of all of the paraphernalia that is sold during this day. Sure,...