Skip to main content

What would we do without Sondheim?

A few nights ago, I caught the last hour of an HBO documentary Six by Sondheim.  Unfortunately since I was late, I only got to see half of the show—3 of the 6 by Sondheim if you will.  As I watched this documentary about this very talented man, I was reminded of when I first saw one of his musicals.
 Years ago, I was flipping channels in the television and happen to stumble upon A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. I liked the title, it was unusually long. The opening song’s lyrics had such promise and grandeur as the star Zero Mostel sang in a baritone voice “Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight!!” I watched the comical misadventures of Pseudolus, enjoying the clever songs, such as “Everybody Ought to Have a Maid.”
I was about to write off that this was a just a silly, bawdy musical comedy, with only interest in tickling my funny bone. Then,  a duet with Michael Crawford (Hero) and Annette Andre (Philia) singing a beautiful song called “Lovely”. The melody sent chills up my spine and the lyrics were light and dreamy.  Being a pre-teen, I was totally buying into the swooning quality of this love song! I thought: wouldn't it be great if a boy sang these heartfelt lyrics to me, *sigh*!  Of course, the romantic mushiness didn't last, as soon as Pseudolus and Hysterium   got a hold of the song.
Nevertheless, each song was an integral part of the story-- it didn't seem out of place that Miles Gloriosus breaks into song “Bring Me My Bride.” In fact, the songs were like characters onto themselves, whether they be humorous, highly theatrical or heartfelt. Each was distinct and evoked a different emotion.
At the end, I saw in the credits music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. Now I had identified this artist who was able to meld complex yet jaunting lyrics with musical notes that seemed timeless.  From then on, any time I had the opportunity to see a Stephen Sondheim musical, I jumped at it. Sweeney Todd, and Sunday in the Park with George became favorites as well. My husband even became a fan the same way I did—he stumbled upon Into The Woods on television and was lured into the enchantment, and he doesn't even like musicals!

In the documentary, Mr. Sondheim revealed one time he wrote a musical for profit only. He said he wouldn't do that again, and made a comment that he only writes out of love.  I was really touched by that comment, since it’s so evident in my favorite musical of his. After watching it, I was amazed how good a mood I was in after watching this show.  A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum will always hold a special place in my heart and I have Mr. Sondheim to thank for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"B"lathering about soap

I have noticed lately I have picked up a new interest: hand made soaps. There are two incidences that introduced me to this world. The first incidence was perusing YouTube and stopping at a thumbnail of a soap maker's reaction video. I clicked on it and enjoyed the humorous take of the soap maker. She was down to earth, spunky and informative at the same time. Then I clicked on her channel and was intrigued by the vibrant colors and decadent designs. It was a mix of being soothing and fun.  The second incident was a feed from a soap company that was on my Facebook page.  Their glorious photograph of a swirling black raspberry hand made soap defied what I thought soap could be. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was a dessert. My mother would at times describe colors as being yummy and this soap fit it to a T.  What is it about this mundane item like a soap bar?   I wonder if it has to do with seeing all of the news about the importance of hand washing that has

How's the haircut?

Isn't it amazing how a bad memory can stick to you like a wad of gum in your hair? You try to remove it, but in order to do that, you need to cut off some of your hair? At first, you’re apprehensive, but in the process, you end up with a nice hair style? At the beginning of my career, I was working at an apartment complex.  I must have upset my boss by interrupting him when he spoke to me.  I hadn't realized I was in a bad habit of talking over him. I was so anxious to prove I was on top of all the assignments, but in this process, wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. One day, he held up an eyeglass case and said this signified when it was his time to talk. In front of the other staff, he actually held up the case while he spoke to me. I was embarrassed by his demeaning ways. I didn't put any credence in his opinion. I wrote him off as being a mean old man! For a while, I carried this memory like a wad of hardened gum in my hair. It was brittle and would have

Dismantling writer's block

Last week I had the opportunity to read a chapter of my book to a teen writing group at the Meridian Library .  They were a great bunch of kids, each had their own stories they were working on and sharing.  One teen had even self published a couple of his books. After I read my chapter, there was a question and answer period. One of the questions I was asked was what would I do if I had writer’s block? My answer involved mentioning a famous writer Fran Lebowitz who had writer’s block for 10 years. I had recently seen the Martin Scorsese documentary, Public Speaking, and quickly made the association. However, the young man wasn’t having any of this example. He asked me again very specifically, ”What would you do if you had writer’s block?”   I smiled to myself—why bring up someone else when I have my own opinions?  I gave my scenario of writer’s block. At the beginning of creating a story, it can be exciting and thrilling, as with all new things. However, you may find that same story