Skip to main content

Is it the thought that really counts?

I do so love reading articles that conjure up memories!
I recently read an article in O Magazine July 2011 (I’m a little bit behind!)  called The Cure for a Compulsive Helper by Diana Spechler.  The article was the author’s account of 30 days of mindful helping. She shared that there were times in her life when she thought she was being helpful, but since it was unsolicited, her help became almost to the point of meddling.  
I got to thinking of an incident in my life and how I identified with Ms Spechler’s well-meaning nature.
A few years ago, a manager that worked with my husband lamented that she didn't have many professional clothes. The owner was promoting her to another apartment complex that was larger and she wanted to look the part. She was petite like me, so my husband suggested that I help out. I had been working at an office for a while and had collected many business separates. I went through my closet and picked out a couple of my professional cast-offs.  The next time we saw her, I gave her the clothing. I felt good that I was able to help out on her quest to looking more professional.
Oddly enough, the later times I saw her, I didn't see her wearing any of the items I had given her.  I figured since I didn't see her every day and she may have been wearing them at these other times.
A few weeks later, she was getting ready to move to the new apartment complex and was holding a yard sale. We happened to be at her complex since my husband was the on call maintenance tech that weekend. As we walked by her sales display, on the rack of clothing were all of the items I gave her. My heart sank, disappointed that my generosity was completely ignored. Even though we saw each other many times afterwards, I never mentioned my hurt feelings to her, but it was always in the back of my mind.  
After reading this article, I reviewed this past incident again. I didn't feel the sting of the hurt feelings since many years have come between, so I was able to look at it from a more discerning angle. 
This manager may have had some hurt feelings of her own. For instance, maybe she was offended that I would assume she couldn't afford or she was incapable of purchasing professional clothing. I had worked in offices where it was common practice that someone would either bring in their cast offs and give them away or sell at a very low price. I had assumed she would like to save a few dollars and take the clothes I offered, never once considering that it was a rather intrusive gesture.  Also, she may have had a different fashion style than I had. Instead of having these clothes hanging and wasting away in her closet, she decided to sell them with no malice intended.

I decided to stop carrying around the hurt feelings, and exchanged them as hope she made a few bucks on her yard sale!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"B"lathering about soap

I have noticed lately I have picked up a new interest: hand made soaps. There are two incidences that introduced me to this world. The first incidence was perusing YouTube and stopping at a thumbnail of a soap maker's reaction video. I clicked on it and enjoyed the humorous take of the soap maker. She was down to earth, spunky and informative at the same time. Then I clicked on her channel and was intrigued by the vibrant colors and decadent designs. It was a mix of being soothing and fun.  The second incident was a feed from a soap company that was on my Facebook page.  Their glorious photograph of a swirling black raspberry hand made soap defied what I thought soap could be. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was a dessert. My mother would at times describe colors as being yummy and this soap fit it to a T.  What is it about this mundane item like a soap bar?   I wonder if it has to do with seeing all of the news about the importance of hand washing that has

How's the haircut?

Isn't it amazing how a bad memory can stick to you like a wad of gum in your hair? You try to remove it, but in order to do that, you need to cut off some of your hair? At first, you’re apprehensive, but in the process, you end up with a nice hair style? At the beginning of my career, I was working at an apartment complex.  I must have upset my boss by interrupting him when he spoke to me.  I hadn't realized I was in a bad habit of talking over him. I was so anxious to prove I was on top of all the assignments, but in this process, wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. One day, he held up an eyeglass case and said this signified when it was his time to talk. In front of the other staff, he actually held up the case while he spoke to me. I was embarrassed by his demeaning ways. I didn't put any credence in his opinion. I wrote him off as being a mean old man! For a while, I carried this memory like a wad of hardened gum in my hair. It was brittle and would have

Dismantling writer's block

Last week I had the opportunity to read a chapter of my book to a teen writing group at the Meridian Library .  They were a great bunch of kids, each had their own stories they were working on and sharing.  One teen had even self published a couple of his books. After I read my chapter, there was a question and answer period. One of the questions I was asked was what would I do if I had writer’s block? My answer involved mentioning a famous writer Fran Lebowitz who had writer’s block for 10 years. I had recently seen the Martin Scorsese documentary, Public Speaking, and quickly made the association. However, the young man wasn’t having any of this example. He asked me again very specifically, ”What would you do if you had writer’s block?”   I smiled to myself—why bring up someone else when I have my own opinions?  I gave my scenario of writer’s block. At the beginning of creating a story, it can be exciting and thrilling, as with all new things. However, you may find that same story