Skip to main content

Robin Williams

A few days ago, as I listened to my Pandora's Comedy channel a routine by Robin Williams was aired. I smile sadly as I hear his manic and rapid fire delivery. In my opinion,  his ideas were bursting at the seams and he was always in a race to deliver his funny but true insights.
I remember watching him first on Mork and Mindy and somehow my young mind knew the small screen couldn't contain this whirlwind of a comedian. I count many of his movies as favorites and fascinated by his range--he could be expectantly funny as in Mrs. Doubtfire and The Birdcage, then change the tone to serious at whiplash speed such as with Insomnia and The Final Cut.
One of his movies that stuck with me is What Dreams May Come. It was not a box office hit, maybe due to its somber subject of death--after all 3 of the main characters die in rapid succession. However, I realized that the Afterlife is what the story is all about. How can you possibly arrive at the main plot without a smattering of death? One of the ideas that I took away from the movie was all of the different Heavens, tailor made for the person--living in your favorite painting, exploring you "world" with a favorite but deceased pet that was now full of life.
Since I never knew Mr Williams personally, I can only relate to him through his movies and news stories. I sincerely hope that he found his Heaven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"B"lathering about soap

I have noticed lately I have picked up a new interest: hand made soaps. There are two incidences that introduced me to this world. The first incidence was perusing YouTube and stopping at a thumbnail of a soap maker's reaction video. I clicked on it and enjoyed the humorous take of the soap maker. She was down to earth, spunky and informative at the same time. Then I clicked on her channel and was intrigued by the vibrant colors and decadent designs. It was a mix of being soothing and fun.  The second incident was a feed from a soap company that was on my Facebook page.  Their glorious photograph of a swirling black raspberry hand made soap defied what I thought soap could be. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was a dessert. My mother would at times describe colors as being yummy and this soap fit it to a T.  What is it about this mundane item like a soap bar?   I wonder if it has to do with seeing all of the news about the importance of hand washing that has

How's the haircut?

Isn't it amazing how a bad memory can stick to you like a wad of gum in your hair? You try to remove it, but in order to do that, you need to cut off some of your hair? At first, you’re apprehensive, but in the process, you end up with a nice hair style? At the beginning of my career, I was working at an apartment complex.  I must have upset my boss by interrupting him when he spoke to me.  I hadn't realized I was in a bad habit of talking over him. I was so anxious to prove I was on top of all the assignments, but in this process, wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. One day, he held up an eyeglass case and said this signified when it was his time to talk. In front of the other staff, he actually held up the case while he spoke to me. I was embarrassed by his demeaning ways. I didn't put any credence in his opinion. I wrote him off as being a mean old man! For a while, I carried this memory like a wad of hardened gum in my hair. It was brittle and would have

Only one day for love?!

Last week at my Toastmasters club meeting, we ran out of time for Table Topics. This segment of the meeting is when a club member is assigned to give the other members questions so they can give an impromptu 1-2 speech on that topic. Typically, the questions are related to the theme of the meeting.  Naturally, the theme of the meeting was Valentine’s Day. It was offered that next week these Table Topics could be used. Then it was shared that may not be a good idea, since the questions related to romance and “lovey dovey” stuff. I said “It shouldn't matter if we do this next week. Do we only have one day that we can talk about love?!” I have been thinking about this the day after Valentine’s. How much emphasis is focused on this day that it has to be super romantic? What about the people without partners? Isn't it cruel to exclude them from a basic feeling such as love? Also, as I grow older, I’m not a huge fan of all of the paraphernalia that is sold during this day. Sure,