Skip to main content

Impromptu moments

Being a mother of a teenager with Asperger’s Syndrome, I find myself coaxing a lot. Reminders and prompts are in my arsenal. I try not to nag, since I really don’t want him to shut down and not pay attention to the lessons I’m bestowing. There are new studies that the brain doesn't fully mature until someone is in their 20's.  Unfortunately, for me, day to day living can make this fact a vague whisper.
Then there are moments that happen so unexpected that they are remarkable.
 I finally watched My Left Foot   (thank goodness for Netflix!) The actors Daniel Day Lewis and Hugh O’Connor were absolutely tremendous as they portrayed Christy Brown, the real life writer and artist with cerebral palsy.   As the movie progressed to the part where young Christy took a piece of chalk between his toes to write on the floor, I started to cringe. I have a strong aversion to squeaking chalk (though I believe everyone has a dislike to this horrible sound!) I muted the volume in the event that this nerve-racking squeak may happen.
My son happened to come into the living room at this time. He asked why I had the volume muted and I told him. He advised I would miss part of the movie’s dialogue and the chalk probably wouldn't squeal. I argued that I felt more comfortable with no sound.  My imagination was already playing the awful sound in my head. Why wasn't he listening to my unreasonable reason?
Then my son did something wonderful—he said he would cover my ears, listen to this part of the movie and give the green light if it was just strictly dialogue. I agreed and he rewound a few frames. True to his word, he put his hands over my ears and watched the scene. I blissfully didn't hear anything. He then removed his hands and announced that the caulk does not squeak, and he again rewound so I could hear the missed dialogue.

My heart swelled with pride. Here he was showing great traits all on his own—patience, empathy and resolve.  In that moment, I felt confident that he was indeed on the right track. I just have to remember this the next time he emerges out of the bathroom without combing his hair!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How's the haircut?

Isn't it amazing how a bad memory can stick to you like a wad of gum in your hair? You try to remove it, but in order to do that, you need to cut off some of your hair? At first, you’re apprehensive, but in the process, you end up with a nice hair style? At the beginning of my career, I was working at an apartment complex.  I must have upset my boss by interrupting him when he spoke to me.  I hadn't realized I was in a bad habit of talking over him. I was so anxious to prove I was on top of all the assignments, but in this process, wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. One day, he held up an eyeglass case and said this signified when it was his time to talk. In front of the other staff, he actually held up the case while he spoke to me. I was embarrassed by his demeaning ways. I didn't put any credence in his opinion. I wrote him off as being a mean old man! For a while, I carried this memory like a wad of hardened gum in my hair. It was brittle and would have

Just a note

If you visit my website, you can now read the first chapter of my book for free! Please feel free to click on its link below: website All I ask is please leave me a comment. Even to just say "hello" so I know that some people are reading it! Thanks everyone, and I'll talk with you later!! Diane

"B"lathering about soap

I have noticed lately I have picked up a new interest: hand made soaps. There are two incidences that introduced me to this world. The first incidence was perusing YouTube and stopping at a thumbnail of a soap maker's reaction video. I clicked on it and enjoyed the humorous take of the soap maker. She was down to earth, spunky and informative at the same time. Then I clicked on her channel and was intrigued by the vibrant colors and decadent designs. It was a mix of being soothing and fun.  The second incident was a feed from a soap company that was on my Facebook page.  Their glorious photograph of a swirling black raspberry hand made soap defied what I thought soap could be. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was a dessert. My mother would at times describe colors as being yummy and this soap fit it to a T.  What is it about this mundane item like a soap bar?   I wonder if it has to do with seeing all of the news about the importance of hand washing that has