Skip to main content

Mark of Mimosa

Mimosa the cat scanned the living room with his chartreuse eyes. With a contented yawn, he stretched, arching his back and spreading out his white furred front paws. His gaze settled on the Lady sitting on the couch reading a library book.
                “It’s time,” he mumbled, which sounded like a quiet meow to the Lady.
                Mimosa effortlessly hopped onto the couch next to the Lady. As soon has his paws hit the couch, he bumped his head gently against the side of the hard backed book that the Lady was holding.
                The Lady laughed as Mimosa continued to rub against the book cover. He was bumping with such force that it caused her to lose her place in the story.  “Mim, what are you doing?” she asked, not really expecting an answer. She scratched behind his ear and scooped him up, placing him gently on the floor.
                Undeterred, Mimosa hopped back onto the chocolate colored couch and resumed his ardent behavior. He even padded onto her lap and rubbed the side of his face against the corner of the book, causing the pages to fan out.  Again, the Lady set aside the book and picked up the orange and white cat. Slinging him on one arm, she placed him on the floor, gently patting his bottom. “Now scoot!” she coaxed with a smile.
                 Mimosa looked over his shoulder, squinting at the Lady, who had resumed reading the book.  Keeping his dignity, he turned around, swished his tail regally and slowly sauntered back into the bedroom. He padded past Pepper the black dog that was lying at the bedroom door. Mimosa gingerly hopped onto the bed where Stanley the grey cat was lounging.
                “Mimosa, why do you insist on rubbing your face all over that book?” Pepper asked, rising to her paws. In order to refresh herself, she shook her head vigorously, her floppy ears resembling bat wings.
                “It is in the house, so I had to mark it so it would smell right,” Mimosa answered simply.  “Just like I’m doing right now.” He proceeded to rub his side of his face on the quilt.
                “Well, leave my side of the bed alone, and we’ll get along just fine.” Stanley yawned, stretching his front legs and wiggling his paws.
                 “Oh, yeah?” Mimosa challenged, hopping onto Stanley’s side of the bed.  “You’re not the boss of me!”
“Get off!” Stanley yelled, arching his back as his grey fur began to prickle.
“Stop it, you two!” Pepper cried, as the two cats squared off, staring at each other with scowls. “Help, Lady, help!!” she screamed, rushing out the door to the living room.
What the Lady heard was two cats hissing and a dog barking a warning. She dropped the book on the couch and ran into the bedroom to break up the impending fight.
 Pepper, with her duty done, decided to see what Mimosa meant by the book smelling right. She trotted to the couch and took a whiff of the book lying innocently on the cushion.  Suddenly, her nostrils were visited by all of the previous readers of the book.  She detected rose petal perfume, ketchup, and oatmeal cookie.
“I don’t know why Mimosa insisted on covering up these scents, they are delicious!” Pepper thought, gently licking the pages.
The Lady walked out of the bedroom, Mimosa draped in her arms. Pepper galloped to the Lady’s side, giving Mimosa a scolding look for causing trouble with Stanley.
“Now I have to put you in time out!” she announced, as the cat poured out of her arms into the other bedroom in front of the house. She firmly closed the door behind her and walked back to the living room.
Pepper whined through the door, “Mimosa, you shouldn't have done that!”
“Not a problem,” Mimosa answered. “There is plenty in here for me to mark! Now go away!” he ordered, sticking his paw under the door.
Pepper shook her head and as she trotted back to the living room, she heard the Lady shout, “Stanley! Quit bumping your head on my book! I’ll lose my place!”



  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How's the haircut?

Isn't it amazing how a bad memory can stick to you like a wad of gum in your hair? You try to remove it, but in order to do that, you need to cut off some of your hair? At first, you’re apprehensive, but in the process, you end up with a nice hair style? At the beginning of my career, I was working at an apartment complex.  I must have upset my boss by interrupting him when he spoke to me.  I hadn't realized I was in a bad habit of talking over him. I was so anxious to prove I was on top of all the assignments, but in this process, wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. One day, he held up an eyeglass case and said this signified when it was his time to talk. In front of the other staff, he actually held up the case while he spoke to me. I was embarrassed by his demeaning ways. I didn't put any credence in his opinion. I wrote him off as being a mean old man! For a while, I carried this memory like a wad of hardened gum in my hair. It was brittle and would have

Just a note

If you visit my website, you can now read the first chapter of my book for free! Please feel free to click on its link below: website All I ask is please leave me a comment. Even to just say "hello" so I know that some people are reading it! Thanks everyone, and I'll talk with you later!! Diane

"B"lathering about soap

I have noticed lately I have picked up a new interest: hand made soaps. There are two incidences that introduced me to this world. The first incidence was perusing YouTube and stopping at a thumbnail of a soap maker's reaction video. I clicked on it and enjoyed the humorous take of the soap maker. She was down to earth, spunky and informative at the same time. Then I clicked on her channel and was intrigued by the vibrant colors and decadent designs. It was a mix of being soothing and fun.  The second incident was a feed from a soap company that was on my Facebook page.  Their glorious photograph of a swirling black raspberry hand made soap defied what I thought soap could be. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was a dessert. My mother would at times describe colors as being yummy and this soap fit it to a T.  What is it about this mundane item like a soap bar?   I wonder if it has to do with seeing all of the news about the importance of hand washing that has