Skip to main content

These are the breaks!

Funny how time flies when you’re injured?
A few weeks ago, I broke my ankle.  It was all quite by accident. That morning, it was a sunny day and decided to go for a walk during my break at work. I tried to reach out to a couple of co-workers to join me, but didn't receive any responses. I figured, hey, we weren't nuns and didn't need to go out in pairs! I slipped my cell phone in my pocket since I was trekking out alone as a mere precaution.
As I walked along the block, I was enjoying the moment—the sun warming my face, the birds chirping, and the gentle breeze cooling my arms. I was all alone. I ventured further, resetting my mind with nature. Staring at a computer all day tends to make you forget there is a world outside.
I work in a business complex and there is a canal that cuts through the property. As I turned onto the gravel path, a runner jogged past me, ear buds divorcing her from all that surrounded her. I figured she, like me, was communing with nature herself. 
 I recalled there was a contest going on at my work to find a cut out picture. The clue sent appeared to be near this canal gravel walkway.  I figured I had a few more minutes, so why not try to find it for the gift card reward? As I walked along the canal with this new quest, I was basically looking everywhere but in front of me.  Abruptly, I fell face first into the dirt. As I raised myself up with my hands,  I looked down and saw my right foot was in a small hole. Well, $&#**, that explains it! I thought.
Suddenly, my nature walk wasn't as inviting as it was in the beginning—the sun became unbearably hot, there were no friendly bird chippings to be heard, and the air was ominously still. I was all alone.
Before I started to go into a spiral of regret for my choice of walking, this clear thought in my head came into focus, “Get on your feet.”  I actually answered out loud “Okay.”  As I rose, I found my left foot was able to hold my weight. However, from my right knee to my right ankle, it felt like someone shot me with Novocain.  “This isn't right!” I mumbled to myself.
You can’t walk back to the office, you’ll need to call someone.” Again, I was made aware of this thought in my head.  It was like an instructional video, complete with a check off list.
I reached into my pants pocket and took out my cell phone. I called my office and punched in the extension of my former supervisor. I chose her because was crossed trained as a nurse and was an analytic thinker. I knew in my current condition I didn't need someone prone to panic. Thankfully, she answered in the first ring. I told her in a quavering voice what happened and my location. On the pathway, there was a grassy slope leading down to a parking lot behind the day care. She told me she was on her way and would meet me in the parking lot. Gingerly, I stepped on my right foot. Searing pain registered along with the weird numbness.
It’s only a few feet to the grassy knoll,” the thought reasoned. Again, I audibly agreed and hobbled to the spot. “She’s here-- you can hear her car engine. Slide down the hill.”
Stepping the grass, I put my hands out at my side to balance myself. I scooted down the hill with my left foot, dragging my swelling right foot behind me.  It was a wonderful sight to see her car door opened. Thought it maybe was a matter of a few hundred feet, I was glad to be back in civilization!
We have heard that people have either a victim or a survivor mentality. One big difference is one lets panic take over their thought process and the other has logic to be their guide. Scientifically speaking, the reason why I able to hear the logical side of my brain so clearly was I was in survival mode pure and simple, right?
True, the above analysis makes sense, but looking back, I do detect a celestial flavor.  For examples: my cell phone wasn't broken in the fall; I was able to get to my doctor twenty minutes after my accident with no waiting; the fracture was on a non weight bearing bone (the fibula) and because the doctor was able to get my leg in a walking boot relatively quickly, the bone reset itself.  A lot of circumstances seemingly beyond my control fell into place, so what if the thoughts that I had heard was my guardian angel?

I like to think that it was all of the above. It gives me comfort that I know in a time of crisis, I can keep a cool head on my shoulders, and somebody up there is watching out for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How's the haircut?

Isn't it amazing how a bad memory can stick to you like a wad of gum in your hair? You try to remove it, but in order to do that, you need to cut off some of your hair? At first, you’re apprehensive, but in the process, you end up with a nice hair style? At the beginning of my career, I was working at an apartment complex.  I must have upset my boss by interrupting him when he spoke to me.  I hadn't realized I was in a bad habit of talking over him. I was so anxious to prove I was on top of all the assignments, but in this process, wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. One day, he held up an eyeglass case and said this signified when it was his time to talk. In front of the other staff, he actually held up the case while he spoke to me. I was embarrassed by his demeaning ways. I didn't put any credence in his opinion. I wrote him off as being a mean old man! For a while, I carried this memory like a wad of hardened gum in my hair. It was brittle and would have

Just a note

If you visit my website, you can now read the first chapter of my book for free! Please feel free to click on its link below: website All I ask is please leave me a comment. Even to just say "hello" so I know that some people are reading it! Thanks everyone, and I'll talk with you later!! Diane

"B"lathering about soap

I have noticed lately I have picked up a new interest: hand made soaps. There are two incidences that introduced me to this world. The first incidence was perusing YouTube and stopping at a thumbnail of a soap maker's reaction video. I clicked on it and enjoyed the humorous take of the soap maker. She was down to earth, spunky and informative at the same time. Then I clicked on her channel and was intrigued by the vibrant colors and decadent designs. It was a mix of being soothing and fun.  The second incident was a feed from a soap company that was on my Facebook page.  Their glorious photograph of a swirling black raspberry hand made soap defied what I thought soap could be. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was a dessert. My mother would at times describe colors as being yummy and this soap fit it to a T.  What is it about this mundane item like a soap bar?   I wonder if it has to do with seeing all of the news about the importance of hand washing that has