Skip to main content

Songs beyond Rock a Bye Baby


Years ago when my son was an infant, nighttime feedings were really popular at our house, especially at 1 am.  It would have been enjoyable to sit and listen to the silence if I hadn't been so dead tired. The padded rocking chair was dangerously too comfortable as I sat there with my infant son feeding him his bottle. After he finished his formula, I held him against my shoulder and rubbed his small back, waiting for his contented noise (read burp) to let me know he was ready go back to blessed slumber.  However, the awaited noise came, but his bright, blue eyes stared back at me, no sign of going back to sleep.
                I figured this was a good time to sing a lullaby to him, a nice quiet song, not a toe-tapping Broadway melody. Besides, I was still in my pajamas.
                I had read many articles stating that it is not the words that lull the baby to sleep, but your voice that is so soothing.  I was beginning to sing the classic, Rock a Bye Baby, but I was never a fan of the “bough breaking” part, so I stopped abruptly.  Then my tired brain began to think back to all the songs that I had heard throughout my life. From the recesses of my brain, I was able to remember the lyrics to “I Say a Little Prayer” sung by Dionne Warwick. As my son’s eyes started to grow heavy, I quietly crooned the song. It is about a woman setting off to work, but still thinking about her loved one throughout her work day.  Though Burt Bacharach  had originally intended this to be a love song, the words could easily apply to a parent singing it to their child.  I was a working mom and the lyrics really struck a chord with me. Also, it did the trick—he drifted off to sleep.
It’s amazing how there are certain songs get stuck in your memory.  This song had a simple melody, so singing it a Capella didn't sound half-bad. It had stood the test of time and I was doing my part in a small way in preserving history.
Just when I thought I was entertaining myself and my son didn't remember what I was singing to him, an incident happened to make me change my mind. A few days later, we were all watching “My Best Friend’s Wedding” on video. My son’s face lit up when the characters started to sing “I Say a Little Prayer” at the restaurant. He smiled at me and cooed at the lyrics. My husband raised his eyebrows and gave me an “atta girl” nod. I looked down at my son on my lap and smiled. I swear if he could have talked, he would have said, “Hey Mommy, they’re singing our song!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How's the haircut?

Isn't it amazing how a bad memory can stick to you like a wad of gum in your hair? You try to remove it, but in order to do that, you need to cut off some of your hair? At first, you’re apprehensive, but in the process, you end up with a nice hair style? At the beginning of my career, I was working at an apartment complex.  I must have upset my boss by interrupting him when he spoke to me.  I hadn't realized I was in a bad habit of talking over him. I was so anxious to prove I was on top of all the assignments, but in this process, wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. One day, he held up an eyeglass case and said this signified when it was his time to talk. In front of the other staff, he actually held up the case while he spoke to me. I was embarrassed by his demeaning ways. I didn't put any credence in his opinion. I wrote him off as being a mean old man! For a while, I carried this memory like a wad of hardened gum in my hair. It was brittle and would have

Just a note

If you visit my website, you can now read the first chapter of my book for free! Please feel free to click on its link below: website All I ask is please leave me a comment. Even to just say "hello" so I know that some people are reading it! Thanks everyone, and I'll talk with you later!! Diane

"B"lathering about soap

I have noticed lately I have picked up a new interest: hand made soaps. There are two incidences that introduced me to this world. The first incidence was perusing YouTube and stopping at a thumbnail of a soap maker's reaction video. I clicked on it and enjoyed the humorous take of the soap maker. She was down to earth, spunky and informative at the same time. Then I clicked on her channel and was intrigued by the vibrant colors and decadent designs. It was a mix of being soothing and fun.  The second incident was a feed from a soap company that was on my Facebook page.  Their glorious photograph of a swirling black raspberry hand made soap defied what I thought soap could be. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was a dessert. My mother would at times describe colors as being yummy and this soap fit it to a T.  What is it about this mundane item like a soap bar?   I wonder if it has to do with seeing all of the news about the importance of hand washing that has