Skip to main content

More than a bargain

It's amazing how something as mundane as standing in line at the grocery store can offer a life lesson.
It happened to me a few weeks ago. I was the fourth person in line at the store and my hands were full. I only went to the store for one thing, peanut butter, so I saw no reason to get a cart. How short sighted of me!
 As I shopped, I was reminded that we needed bread to go with the peanut butter. Also, in the same aisle there were tea bags, and I remembered we were getting low on them.  For some reason, tea reminded me of beverages, and I recalled we were almost out of milk. On the way to the back of the store, I saw there was a sale on 12 rolls of bathroom tissue. That was a great buy, so I had to get that. Wow, stores must LOVE customers like me!
That’s how I ended up the fourth person in line with 5 items precariously balanced in my arms. The bathroom tissue served as a tray, with the bread, peanut butter and tea bag box sitting on top. The milk I held by the handle. The line was at a standstill. This fact wasn’t lost on the two people ahead of me. I overheard their complaining that there was only one cashier open at this end of the store.  I looked ahead and saw the cashier was having trouble ringing up one of the items. A panicked look was on her face as she scanned and rescanned the uncooperative product. Finally, she called for help, to the chorus of these two people’s grumblings.
Suddenly, my balancing act faltered. The tea box plummeted to the ground, a loud thump echoing throughout the quiet store. However, the two people ahead of me didn’t turn around. For a second, I stared at them in disbelief. I noticed the woman ahead of me had her hands free, she had pumpkins in a cart and the man ahead of her had only a pair of pants in his hands. Surely, one of them will turn around and help pick up my wayward item! It’s not like they didn’t hear it fall! Alas, no one was coming to my aid. I was on my own.
Carefully, I squatted down, placed the milk container on the ground to free up my right hand. Holding the “tray” with my left hand, the peanut butter and bread under my chin, I retrieved the escaped tea bags. I figured I would leave the milk on the ground and push it with my foot.  When I straightened up, I was feeling angry at their lack of assistance. What was wrong with them!
The cashier got the help she needed and was able to finish the transaction.  The line began to move. I was able to finally put my items on the counter. I observed that the cashier greeted the man purchasing the pair of pants, but he completely ignored her.   Next in line was the women with the pumpkins. Again the cashier said good morning, but was only greeted by an icy stare.
I saw after each of these unfriendly exchanges the cashier’s expression get darker and darker. She was really affected by these people’s attitudes. I could relate! I decided instead of letting their rudeness get to me, I would do the exact opposite of them.
I noticed the people behind me was a mother and her little girl, who was holding the large packet of bathroom tissue (I wasn’t the only one who thought it was a good buy!) The packet was almost as big as the little girl, and she was trying to lift it to the counter. Mom couldn’t help, since her arms were full--a woman after my own heart! I reached out and placed the packet on the counter. Her cherub face lit up with a thankful smile.
Now I was the cashier’s next customer. After her last encounters, she didn’t even look up at me, just went along her business scanning my items.  I smiled at her and said, “Good morning, how’s it going?”
Her head snapped up, a relieved, sunny look on her face, “Fine, how are you?”
Just with friendly words, the cashier’s attitude changed. As I gathered my bags, she was back to her friendly self, chatting with the next customers.
I also noticed that my disposition was soaring—by doing these random acts of kindness, I wasn’t feeling down in the dumps any more.  I didn’t let unkindness get to me and that made all the difference. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"B"lathering about soap

I have noticed lately I have picked up a new interest: hand made soaps. There are two incidences that introduced me to this world. The first incidence was perusing YouTube and stopping at a thumbnail of a soap maker's reaction video. I clicked on it and enjoyed the humorous take of the soap maker. She was down to earth, spunky and informative at the same time. Then I clicked on her channel and was intrigued by the vibrant colors and decadent designs. It was a mix of being soothing and fun.  The second incident was a feed from a soap company that was on my Facebook page.  Their glorious photograph of a swirling black raspberry hand made soap defied what I thought soap could be. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was a dessert. My mother would at times describe colors as being yummy and this soap fit it to a T.  What is it about this mundane item like a soap bar?   I wonder if it has to do with seeing all of the news about the importance of hand washing that has

How's the haircut?

Isn't it amazing how a bad memory can stick to you like a wad of gum in your hair? You try to remove it, but in order to do that, you need to cut off some of your hair? At first, you’re apprehensive, but in the process, you end up with a nice hair style? At the beginning of my career, I was working at an apartment complex.  I must have upset my boss by interrupting him when he spoke to me.  I hadn't realized I was in a bad habit of talking over him. I was so anxious to prove I was on top of all the assignments, but in this process, wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. One day, he held up an eyeglass case and said this signified when it was his time to talk. In front of the other staff, he actually held up the case while he spoke to me. I was embarrassed by his demeaning ways. I didn't put any credence in his opinion. I wrote him off as being a mean old man! For a while, I carried this memory like a wad of hardened gum in my hair. It was brittle and would have

Only one day for love?!

Last week at my Toastmasters club meeting, we ran out of time for Table Topics. This segment of the meeting is when a club member is assigned to give the other members questions so they can give an impromptu 1-2 speech on that topic. Typically, the questions are related to the theme of the meeting.  Naturally, the theme of the meeting was Valentine’s Day. It was offered that next week these Table Topics could be used. Then it was shared that may not be a good idea, since the questions related to romance and “lovey dovey” stuff. I said “It shouldn't matter if we do this next week. Do we only have one day that we can talk about love?!” I have been thinking about this the day after Valentine’s. How much emphasis is focused on this day that it has to be super romantic? What about the people without partners? Isn't it cruel to exclude them from a basic feeling such as love? Also, as I grow older, I’m not a huge fan of all of the paraphernalia that is sold during this day. Sure,