Skip to main content

The Window Show

Stanley hopped onto the back of the plush chair next to the window. He lay down on his belly, settling in the comfort of the extra padding. He was ready for his mid afternoon nap. He had just eaten and drank some water, so his schedule had now become wide-open. He let his tiredness close his amber eyes and he began to drift off to sleep.
“Get out of my way, fatty boombalate!” Jinx cried out. He divebombed next to Stanley, who woke up with a start.
“What did you call me?” Stanley asked, raising his head from his slumber.
“Doesn't matter, I want the window seat!” Jinx snapped, swatting Stanley on his gray ear.
Stanley was about to return in kind, when he spied the Woman walking up to them with a spray bottle full of ice cold water. Since Jinx’s back was toward her, he couldn't see her rapid approach. Quite nimbly, Stanley relinquished his perch, and trotted off to the sliding glass door.
“Yeah, you better run!” Jinx crowed.
 Suddenly, he felt an icy cold sensation against his spine. Suddenly, he felt his normally dry fur on his back become soaking wet.
“Bad kitty!” The Woman scolded. "Don't chase Stanley away! He was there first!"
“AAAHH!” Jinx howled. "I've been hit!”
All the Woman heard was his high pitch hissing.
 Jinx scurried away to the corner of the room where the easy chair and the couch met, forming an alcove of sanctuary. He knew from past experiences that the Woman couldn't fit in this small space. He watched as she turned and walked back into the kitchen. He felt miserable. Not only had his temperature dropped a few degrees, but his lovely fur was soaking wet .He proceeded to give himself a tongue bath, shaking off the excess water from his back.
Stanley, meanwhile, was sitting at the glass sliding door, watching Pepper out in the backyard. She was on patrol, which involved walking the whole perimeter of the backyard starting on the left side of the yard.
Suddenly, her route was interrupted when she caught sight of an annoying blue jay. It had the audacity to land on their apple tree. The blue jay was on the top branch, quietly surveying the yard. He expertly held onto a thin branch, balancing himself against the breeze.
Pepper marched over to the foot of the tree and yelled," Hey you bird! Get away from there!"
The blue jay merely looked down his beak and stared at Pepper with his beady eyes.
"Didn't you hear me?" Pepper yelped." I said get out of that tree!"
Jinx, meanwhile, had finished his grooming.  His fur was back to its normal weight, the orange stripes having its healthy glow. However, his coat did not match his attitude—he was still fuming that he had to dry himself off in the first place. Didn’t the Woman know that it took ages to get his fur to look the way it does?  It takes him hours to get it just right, why would he spend half his day grooming himself?
 “That was really cold, man!" Jinx hissed, as he crept out of his hiding hole.
"I bet that water was cold," Stanley agreed." That's why I got out of the way so quickly!"
"That's not what I'm talking about, and you know it!” Jinx fumed. "You could've at least warned me she was coming!"
"Let me see if I've got this straight," Stanley mused." You were forcing me out of my seat, being as mean as you could be, yet I suppose to do you a favor and tell you that you're going to be punished for your wrongdoings?"
"When you put it that way, it sounds like I did something bad!" Jinx whined.
Before Stanley could issue a retort, they both heard Pepper’s excited barking. The two cats turned towards the window.
"What is she doing out there?" Jinx asked, watching Pepper circle around the apple tree.
"Trying to chase away that bird in the tree," Stanley answered. Suddenly, his eyes widened. "Well would you look at that!"
"What? What?" Jinx puzzled, squinting towards the tree to catch a glimpse of the bird.
"There, behind the back fence," Stanley instructed, placing his paw against the glass door."There is a row of geese."                                                          
"Wow! There must be at least five of them," Jinx surmised.
"You know, last winter, these geese during the whole winter, terrorized Pepper when she was a puppy.” Stanley reminisced.
"Really? I find that hard to believe,” Jinx scrunched up his nose." If there's one thing Pepper hates, it’s birds in her yard!"
"True, but you have to remember Pepper was much smaller last year," Stanley advise. "These Canadian geese were head and shoulders taller than she was. She would bravely run at them when they would get too close to the back fence, but they were all was able to put their necks through the fence and peck at her."
 “What did the Boss and her husband do?" Jinx questioned." After all, they are the protective type.”
"Oh, they would rescue Pepper and chase away the geese before it got too serious," Stanley answered. "But I don't think they're going to need to rescue Pepper now!"
Just as Stanley uttered this, Pepper became aware of the approaching geese. Her nose caught their scents and with that, memories flooded back.  Images of last winter--the terrifying geese pecking at her nose. Even now, her nose felt the sting of their beaks. These memories were laced with emotions and she emitted a low growl.
The geese were marching in a single-file row, making remarks of all things they were passing by.
“Hey, fellows, this yard’s grass looks great!” the leader crowed, looking back at his crew. 
“Yeah, we can lunch on that without being bothered,” the second goose in line agreed.  “There was a stupid little puppy there the last time!"
Slowly, Pepper sneaked up to fence in her best stealth-like manner, crouching low to the ground. When she reached the fence, she saw that the geese had their backs turned to her.  They were too busy conversing if they should stop here or go forward. 
“Get away from my fence!” Pepper growled, baring her teeth.
“Wha—“ the geese turned around in unison and gaped at Pepper. 
“You s-said it was a p-puppy that lived here,” the leader stammered.
“I guess the puppy grew up!” the second in command muttered. “Hey, miss, how are you?” he smiled, trying to lightened the mood. “My, didn’t you turn out to be a lovely dog!”
“Very true! Very lovely!” the other geese nodded vigorously in agreement.
“I’ll give you to the count of three to go away!” Pepper snarled. “Then, I’ll peck your noses using these!” she snapped her large teeth together.
“These pearly whites are stunning!” the leader complimented, trying to be light-hearted.
“One,” Pepper started her countdown with a snort.
“She’s not buying it!” the second in command warned.
“Let’s not be so hasty!” the leader chortled.  “Let bygones be bygones!”
“Two!” Pepper growled, starting to poke her long snout through one of the barriers of the fence.
“We need to leave, now!” insisted the second in command, beginning to flap his wings.
“Before she gets to three!” the others agreed, backing away.
Pepper right now looked every part of the ferocious looking dog. The fur on the back of her neck was standing on end. Her teeth were bared and gleaming.  Her eyes never left the geese as they flew off in V formation. With a satisfied nod, Pepper trotted away from the fence.
The two cats sat riveted to the scene that was taking place outside.
“I never saw Pepper that angry!”  Jinx marveled. “I didn’t think she had that in her!”
“Well, not everyone is impressed as you are,” Stanley countered, motioning to the unwavering blue bird still perched on the apple tree.
Pepper also noticed the invasive bird in the tree. She was a bit surprised it hadn’t flown away with the geese.
“Hey, you!” she barked to the bird. “Didn’t you see what happened at the fence?”
“Yes, I did,” the blue bird chirped. “Very impressive!”
“Yeah? Well then, get out of my tree!” Pepper ordered.
“And what will you do if I don’t?” the blue bird challenged, slightly bending down making the branch bow. “I don’t think you can climb this tree to bite me!”
Pepper realized dejectedly that the bird was right—there was no way she could be a threat on the ground while the bird was perched on the top of the tree. Then an idea struck her.
“Fine then,” Pepper conceded, sitting at the foot of the tree. “I’ll just wait down here. You have the leave the tree sometime!”
“She does realize that bird will fly away when it wants to leave?” Stanley asked.
“Now that’s the Pepper I know! Dumb as a stump!” Jinx snickered, as he settled down for his fifth afternoon nap.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How's the haircut?

Isn't it amazing how a bad memory can stick to you like a wad of gum in your hair? You try to remove it, but in order to do that, you need to cut off some of your hair? At first, you’re apprehensive, but in the process, you end up with a nice hair style? At the beginning of my career, I was working at an apartment complex.  I must have upset my boss by interrupting him when he spoke to me.  I hadn't realized I was in a bad habit of talking over him. I was so anxious to prove I was on top of all the assignments, but in this process, wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. One day, he held up an eyeglass case and said this signified when it was his time to talk. In front of the other staff, he actually held up the case while he spoke to me. I was embarrassed by his demeaning ways. I didn't put any credence in his opinion. I wrote him off as being a mean old man! For a while, I carried this memory like a wad of hardened gum in my hair. It was brittle and would have

Just a note

If you visit my website, you can now read the first chapter of my book for free! Please feel free to click on its link below: website All I ask is please leave me a comment. Even to just say "hello" so I know that some people are reading it! Thanks everyone, and I'll talk with you later!! Diane

"B"lathering about soap

I have noticed lately I have picked up a new interest: hand made soaps. There are two incidences that introduced me to this world. The first incidence was perusing YouTube and stopping at a thumbnail of a soap maker's reaction video. I clicked on it and enjoyed the humorous take of the soap maker. She was down to earth, spunky and informative at the same time. Then I clicked on her channel and was intrigued by the vibrant colors and decadent designs. It was a mix of being soothing and fun.  The second incident was a feed from a soap company that was on my Facebook page.  Their glorious photograph of a swirling black raspberry hand made soap defied what I thought soap could be. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn it was a dessert. My mother would at times describe colors as being yummy and this soap fit it to a T.  What is it about this mundane item like a soap bar?   I wonder if it has to do with seeing all of the news about the importance of hand washing that has