Skip to main content

Lavender Memories

Isn’t it amazing how certain scents spark memories? Today, I was washing my hands with liquid lavender soap, and the lovely scent reminded me of a lavender farm here in Idaho called Lavender Acres.   I stumbled upon it last year at the start of spring. I was driving home from church and saw a sign pointing the way to fresh lavender.    I was intrigued and followed the signs to a quaint, little farm.  After I parked, I was greeted by Donna, the very friendly grower. She offered me a complementary glass of lavender lemonade. I must admit, I was skeptical and my face must have shown it, because Donna assured me that it wouldn’t taste the way I thought it would. I took a tentative sip and was pleasantly surprised—it didn’t taste like a flower or a plant. The lavender added a mellow sweetness to the lemon’s tartness.  I let her know I wanted to cut my own bunch of lavender, but had no clue how to do it. I’m a city girl through and through! She was very patient, and showed me the correct way to cut the fragrant stems.  She encouraged me to take my time and enjoy the experience. As I wandered through the different strains of lavender, I was completely at ease and relaxed. The fragrance of lavender permeated the air as the sun warmed my shoulders.  Bees were abundant around the flowers, yet they weren’t swarming around me.  They were too busy with the lovely lavenders. I felt one with the universe.  Once I got home with my large bunch of lavender, I immediately placed them in the vase in the entry way. The great fragrance travelled throughout the house, reminding me of that great experience.
Now, I’m patiently waiting to see the signs on the side of the road again alerting that Lavender Acre is open.  After all, it is spring!!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What’s your top ten?

Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube.  It started with viewing watchmojo.com  with my teenage son.  We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns. I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel  and his show has also been added as a favorite.   Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show .  Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please.  Yea, technology!! Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists: 10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information.   For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.  9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during ...

All that camouflage!

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Project Runway . I find it fascinating that the designers can look at a piece of fabric and envision a sassy or an innovative dress. I get a real kick out of Tim Gunn and his signature catch phrase, “Make it work!” as he critiques the competing designers. I have often used this phrase in some of my parenting skills. A few years ago, my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at fly fishing, but didn't have waders. It was a few days before his birthday, so I figured Perfect! That’s what I would get him! At the time, he worked weekends; on the Saturday before his birthday, I took our son, who was seven at the time, to Sportsman’s Warehouse . This store is huge, packed tightly full of every sort of camping, hunting and fishing gear imaginable.  What I didn't know, but became painfully aware as soon as we entered, was in the middle of the store, they have on display a life-like wilderness scene. To complete this display was many taxi...

Found: a change of perspective

There have been times I've been searching for a lost item—be it my car keys or my shoes—I can’t find it for the life of me. I tear the house apart, and doggedly quiz my family (Are you sure you didn't see them? Really, really?) After a fruitless search, I feel very frustrated, throw my hands up and quit looking. After a while, I retrace my steps--I do need to find these items, especially if I’m heading out the door! Inevitably, I find the item only when I search differently. For instance, when looking for my car keys, if I dug my hand through my purse, I now need to dump all of the contents out.  If I've been looking underneath the bed for my shoes from the left hand side, I switch to the right. It got me thinking how this new approach is relative to life experiences. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in looking at a problem one way that with a fresh pair of eyes, it can be view as an opportunity. For example, a fender bender is a tragedy when it occurs. The look of the ...