Lately, I have been watching many top ten lists on You Tube. It started with viewing watchmojo.com with my teenage son. We shout out what we think should be number one best video game or worst villain. He has been inspired since then to create his own countdowns.
I have also stumbled across Matthew Santoro’s channel and his show has also been added as a favorite.
Back in my day, top 10 lists were relegated to the David Letterman Show. Now, I can watch as many top 10 lists as I please. Yea, technology!!
Taking a queue from my son, below is my countdown to my top 10 reasons why I watch Top 10 Lists:
10. The facts are listed in short tidbits that you don’t feel overwhelmed and able to retain the information. For instance, I learned that we share a considerable amount of our DNA with bananas. Therefore, I have concluded it’s not a big insult to call someone a “banana”.
9. Goodness knows I have turned on YouTube during a weekend afternoon and before I know it, it’s dark outside. However, I feel like I’m learning something and not just wasting my time.
8. The bite-sized facts can lend to topics of conversation. A unique opening line, “Do you know where in the world is a lake looks like it’s been painted?” Answer : click here to find out.
7. I learn new vocabulary words. The latest definition I have learned is “creepypasta”. It’s a tale akin to a spooky campfire story. When I first heard this term, I imagined the Halloween feel box game where you use cold spaghetti as worms.
6. Reiterates that opinions count. It’s okay for me to disagree with their number one picks. It’s interesting to hear the reasoning behind their choice.
5. Feeling jazzed when I agree with their number one picks.
4. Listing information in a quantifying way is very organized and enjoyable to view.
3. I feel smart when I’m able to list off before the narrator on topics. Recently, I able to say “I knew that Charles Dickens loved cats!” when watching Mental Floss’ Cat facts.
2. If I’m feeling ambitious, I can always advance to List 25 for more information.
1. My number one reason why I watch top 10 lists is it’s a great way to bond with my teenager and earn cool Mom points. Now, who doesn't want that?